Talk

Advanced search

London help needed!

(14 Posts)
inscotland Thu 23-Oct-08 19:07:56

Need to book a couple of nights in December and hope to stay in or around Covent Garden. Need hotel with room service as DS will be in bed by 7.30 pm! I have no idea about London so can anyone give me any help?

MegBusset Thu 23-Oct-08 19:14:00

What's the budget?

There is a Travelodge in Covent Garden although I'm not sure about room service.

SylvieSprings Thu 23-Oct-08 19:18:40

www.tripadvisor.co.uk

www.londonnet.co.uk

Hope you have a fabulous time!

HolidaysQueen Thu 23-Oct-08 19:26:14

Trip Advisor is really good for hotel recommendations.

In London it will depend hugely on your budget. Do you need to be near Covent Garden for a particular reason, or do you just want to be fairly central? How old is your DS? If he's a toddler then somewhere like South Kensington could be a good location for you as it is close to Hyde Park and the museums for your DS (although I guess it depends how old he is). Bayswater is also great for Hyde Park. Both areas will have a lot of hotels.

inscotland Thu 23-Oct-08 20:12:14

I am meeting friends in Covent Garden. I don't know much about the tube and how buggy friendly it is as DS will be just 6 months old. This is why I thought about staying in the area just incase the tube is a hassle. I want to see Harrods as well so wanting to stay pretty central. Budget is good and I can afford a bit of a splurge for the weekend.

Thought about travel lodge but I don't think they have room service so we went against that thinking that when DS was asleep we could call RS and have a nice meal and some wine.

MrsSplat Thu 23-Oct-08 20:21:48

There's a Radisson at Seven Dials which would probably fall into the splurge category link

MrsSplat Thu 23-Oct-08 20:25:47

Otherwise Bloomsbury/Russell Square/Holborn are all easy buggy-pushing options close to Cov. Garden and on the Piccadilly Line and will give you tons of stay options.

There are lifts at Russell Square and Covent Garden, don't think there are at Knightsbridge (for Harrods), so take a sling/carrier too for a quick change, if escalators bother you.

inscotland Thu 23-Oct-08 20:37:31

Lovely. THank you. Does anyone know how close Grosvenor Square is? I have Mariott reward points I could use.

MrsSplat Thu 23-Oct-08 20:41:23

About half an hour to walk it, but also on Piccadilly Line (Green Park - no lift)

This site is v.helpful

MrsSplat Thu 23-Oct-08 20:41:51

About half an hour to walk it, but also on Piccadilly Line (Green Park - no lift)

This site Walkit is v.helpful

MrsSplat Thu 23-Oct-08 20:42:23

oops, not done that for a while

SylvieSprings Thu 23-Oct-08 21:12:25

Location of Marriott London Grosvenor Square

SylvieSprings Thu 23-Oct-08 21:18:12

Transport for London

HolidaysQueen Thu 23-Oct-08 23:22:17

Marriott Grosvenor Square would be a great place to be. Right in the heart of central London, but close to Hyde Park too. Nice, manageable walk to Covent Garden through Mayfair, Piccadilly, Leicester Square etc.

My DS is 6mo at the moment. I've found that going on the tube with him is much easier if I have a sling and/or another pair of hands, but Londoners have been surprisingly helpful at getting me up and down stairs and escalators Buses are generally a good option as they have space for buggies, but I would avoid any public transport at rush hour or have DS in a sling/carrier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now