Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever done a "stay at home" holiday?

(5 Posts)
surprise Sun 19-Oct-08 21:52:56

We're thinking of doing this next year. As it costs around £600 per week to hire a country cottage, we thought we may as well spend the money at home. My ideas so far are:

A cleaner to come in twice a week.

Most meals to be eaten out.

No answering the phone, dealing with mail.

What else do you think I need to consider?

We're planning on going on day trips, and also buying a 15ft swimming pool for the garden.

However, still not convinced it will feel like a holiday. Would welcome any thoughts/experience anyone has. Thanks.

paddleboat Mon 20-Oct-08 13:11:34

Hi
We did this last year. I would suggest planning what you will do. Letting people know you are on holiday. Agreeing in advance what is ok to do/what isn't ok eg all those little jobs that you keep meaning to do - is it ok to do them? So as you might for a holiday set the ground rules beforehand! We had 2 weeks at home and found it took us a week to get it how we wanted it to be. I'd do all your research and planning first.
Have fun!

PuppyMonkey Mon 20-Oct-08 13:14:53

Loads of alcohol required obviously to make it truly authentic!

Think you need to avoid doing normal "at home" things like watching the telly too. Do other activities in the evening like ball games and stuff. Cards and chess too.

And no washing up under any circumstances.

Are you really going to get a swimming pool??? I wouldb've just gone to the local leisure centre.

Fennel Tue 21-Oct-08 15:11:32

Yes we do it quite a bit lately. Since we moved to an area which we used to go on holiday in, so for us we do sort of feel as though we are on holiday a lot of the time.

But, we have strict rules. A bit like yours. We treat ourselves to the things we like about more adventurous holidays. Lots of meals out.

No work emails or mumsnetting.

No DIY for DP.

We have to go out and do things in the days, not just waste them. We do local tourist attractions we've never been to (there are loads near us - zoos, aquaria, lots of theme parks, or we go out to the moors and beaches.

We make a list of things we want to do in the area and then we make sure we do them. so we don't just drift.

It's good, I especially like not having to pack. Or to travel far which with 3 young children is a chore.

I have to say it works far better for us now we live in a cute Devon village than in our old Manchester suburb.

surprise Tue 21-Oct-08 18:06:33

Thanks it's good to know other people have done it. Puppymonkey - DP hates public swimming pools as our kids always want to play with him, cling on to him constantly. If we have our own pool (as we've had on previous holidays) they're fine and happy to play by themselves. Plus our "local" leisure centre is a 25 min drive, so don't want to be doing that every day!
Will seriously get planning soon. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now