Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Minehead Butlins.......

(11 Posts)
OFSTEDoutstanding Sun 12-Oct-08 20:14:03

On 20th Oct myself and dh are taking DS (aged3) and DD (6weeks) to Minehead Butlins. I was just wondering if anyone has been and what they can reccommend to do off site (any good soft play areas or toddler friendly activities etc) Also if anyone knows of any nice family friendly pubs we could go to so don't have to eat on site all week would be great!
Those of you that have stayed on the Butlins park what was it like and is there enough there for DS? We have upgraded to stay in Silver appartment I think this gets us heating!!!

SugaryBits Sun 12-Oct-08 20:22:23

We went earlier this year and was actually surprised at how nice it was!
We were in silver and it was fine, a couple of leather sofas, small kitchen with a bench type table- all very clean.
We went to the beach a few times but didn't do anything else off site. There is so much to do. There are activities on for the kids all day, DS who was 4 loved the Skyline gang shows. There were also craft activities and the favorite was the Bob the builder fun fair- kept both Ds amused for ages. The funfair at the front is aimed at older kids but there is a nice soft play area inside.
The Sun & Moon pub is quite nice and there is a big outdoor play area in the garden bit. There is also a nice cafe (bit pricey) and a Pizza hut. We didn't try the other on site restaurants but they do a variety of things and change the choices on a daily basis. The menus for the week are on boards outside, not sure of the prices of those.
All in all it was a good holiday!

SugaryBits Sun 12-Oct-08 20:23:54

sorry, should read "and I was actually suprised"

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 12-Oct-08 20:24:36

Minehead zoo is good - you can hold a snake!

sharonanne Sun 12-Oct-08 21:25:15

the queens hall along the seafront is a nice pub and has soft play in the basement

The hairy dog up the high street has an outside play area

beach is fab,swimming pool nice and bob the builder fair and soft play on site indoors if weather bad.

We have been lots of time and would go back again and again we love it!

OrmIrian Sun 12-Oct-08 21:28:15

How about Exmoor! grin Beautiful area.

Dunster v pretty. There's a castle.

Lovely pub at Luxborough - Royal Oak. Not sure how child-friendly it is but fantastic food.

West Somerset Railway.

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 14-Oct-08 17:10:26

Thanks for thoswe suggestions also I read in the brochure that there is a cinema on site did anyone use it and if so how up to date are the films and how expensive is it to go?

sharonanne Tue 14-Oct-08 20:49:08

yes there is a cinema choice of two films when we went which were just out in normal cinemas. sorry never used so no idea on cost

sharonanne Tue 14-Oct-08 20:50:57

along the seafront is a tourist information centre where you can pick up leaflets about all the local sites and activities

Tippychick Fri 17-Oct-08 13:51:37

Went a few weeks ago in a Gold apartment
It was NOT clean and even the loo had bee - ahem - used when we arrived. Skanky bedlinen, grim rooms. But as we just slept there I wasn't worried.
My 2yo had a blast, we were never out of the pool. The food was fine, you could just have salad/jacket/fruit if you didn't fancy the main meals - which were on the dodgy pub end of the scale. But the restaurant at least was v clean.
Minehead itself was cool, there's a wee train that takes you in from Butlins. There's a great pub on the main street with a huge wooden adverture play area out the back - can't recall the name but they advertise it on the street. The steam train thingy is right next door and is a working like to somewhere - Waken? Watchin? something like that. Exmoor is good of course.
I was also planning on getting out and found I couldn't, other than a morning and lunch at the pub as there was just no time to spare. There's plenty of tourist info on site though if you do need to.

MummyTheQueenOfDarkness Fri 17-Oct-08 14:40:29

7 of us went about six weeks ago and we were in two silver apartments.We were pleasantly surprised as they had left some t.bags ,coffee milk and sugar,toilet rolls,t towel and a dishcloth all in a little sealed pack.There is a toaster you can use as well. We had a television and also the heating was there if we needed it.We only went for a long weekend but really enjoyed it.There is a funfair on site for the children and different things for them to do inside.Also we found the apartments to be clean.There is no bath but an adequate shower.We were lucky and saw titan the robot when we were there .There are shows each night for adult and childrens entertainment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now