Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a great hotel - max 3 hrs drive from W London

(25 Posts)
bellabelly Thu 09-Oct-08 21:40:48

Can anyone recommend a lovely hotel that is within 3 hours' drive from West London? We will be having our first ever weekend break without the twins to celebrate DH's birthday and would love to find somewhere special. Any recommendations?

bellabelly Thu 09-Oct-08 22:38:30

Forgot to say - would especially like somewhere that is smoker-friendly (if such places stil exist...)

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 09:11:57

bump?

MrsMattie Fri 10-Oct-08 09:14:12

Somewhere in Oxfordshire or Berkshire? Henley-on-Thames, Oxford, Marlowe etc? Lovely countryside and not more than an hour's drive from west London.

What sort of price range / star rating?

OneLieIn Fri 10-Oct-08 09:14:18

What sort of hotel do you want? Do you want a spa? Old fashioned luxury or contemporary? What budget??

BTW, I don't think anywhere is still smoker friendly though

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 10:01:34

Spa would be nice but not essential, period or modern, don't mind so long as it's nice! Pretty countryside nearby would be good but as DH's bday is in November, it'd be good to have somewhere that's got things to do and see even if weather is awful.

MrsMattie, i was wondering about Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire - hadn't thought of Marlowe/Henley, thank you - do you know any good ones there?

OneLieIn - think you might be right about the smoking but am thinking some places might at least have balconies / heated outdoor spaces so it wouldn't be a total pain in the neck to have a fag!

BecauseImAWitch Fri 10-Oct-08 10:05:32

How about this:

The Ayrlington, Bath

We stayed there last weekend. Lovely rooms, and the Zen room has it's own entrance and is on the ground floor at the back, where there is a huge garden (so may be OK for smoking - but you'd have to check their policy as they say they are entirely non-smoking. Don't know if this means the garden as well!)

It's about a 10 minute walk (max) into the city centre if you want to go shopping (lovely shops) and easy to drive to/get out of the city if you want to.

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 11:42:00

That does look lovely. I love Bath too. Think the smoking thing is pretty much a no-go though even in garden, will phone and ask.

bluesky Fri 10-Oct-08 12:47:32

hotel dun vin in Henley

bluesky Fri 10-Oct-08 12:47:47

du du du I meant!

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 13:11:34

ooh, great will look at that one too! Any more ideas?

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 16:12:12

bump to see if anyone else has recommendations?

BecauseImAWitch Fri 10-Oct-08 16:24:57

Oh God - how shameful - its own entrance, of course. This is one of my most hated apostrophe errors!

<hides from rest of pedants>

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 19:29:05

bump

bellabelly Fri 10-Oct-08 23:53:00

bumpety-bump!

handlemecarefully Fri 10-Oct-08 23:55:15

La Terravina has been very favourably reviewed in the Times etc (just been there for dinner tonight actually - it was good). It's in Woodlands, Hampshire (will try and find a link). It's a country hotel and restaurant

handlemecarefully Sat 11-Oct-08 00:00:14

link number 1

link number 2

handlemecarefully Sat 11-Oct-08 00:06:59

Chewton Glen in New Milton, Hampshire is an award winning hotel but a tad more expensive. Are you familiar with Hampshire? - it is about 1.5 hours drive from W London

retiredgoth Sat 11-Oct-08 00:26:51

...went here for our 10th anniversary.

It is lovely. Made all the better for the lovely (if fearsome) Mrs Goth as she worked as a chamber maid there when a teen....

I can second the Ayrlington, too. Used to stay there regularly when teaching courses in Bath (even though it is 20 minutes max from home. hey, got to take the perks)

...gloriously obsequieous owner, who would rub his hands in supplication saying "can I get you anything else, Doctor?" in a Basil Fawlty style.

...never had the gall to tell him I am a nurse, not a doctor. Just kept taking the free brandies....

stepfordwife Sat 11-Oct-08 00:27:09

danesfield house hotel in marlow.
in lovely grounds
fab spa and swimming pool
not much over an hour's drive from w.london

bellabelly Sat 11-Oct-08 20:16:44

Those all sound great possibilities, thanks you all! retiredgoth grin at free brandies and osequious manner!

luckylady74 Sat 11-Oct-08 20:21:18

Calcot manor is veery special - in the cotswolds - spa, fab restaurant, homemade biscuits in the room, relaxed pub - that must have an outdoor smokers bit surely?
www.calcotmanor.co.uk

Lainston house or the Hotel du Vin in Winchester

handlemecarefully Mon 13-Oct-08 22:04:34

Frequented both of those, more than once. Good, but Chewton Glen better...

elsiepiddock Mon 13-Oct-08 22:11:33

Crazy Bear near Oxford is fab, suites are gorgeous and not too wedgy. Have been to Chewton Glen too - it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now