Talk

Advanced search

Whitby?

(19 Posts)
bogwobbit Thu 11-Sep-08 13:07:35

Am fancying Whitby for a summer hol next year. Has anyone been there? If so, would you recommend it and can you suggest a nice self-catering place to stay in. ( 2 adults + 2 kids ages 5 & 11)

TIA

bogwobbit Thu 11-Sep-08 14:27:13

Bump....pleeeease

ecoworrier Thu 11-Sep-08 15:11:21

Have at look here - we've used this agency a few times, always with good results. Very reasonably priced too.

bogwobbit Thu 11-Sep-08 16:28:32

Thanks ecoworrier. I'll bookmark the site for future reference. Looks good.
Anyone else?

Onlyaphase Thu 11-Sep-08 16:56:12

We spent a very wet day at Whitby a few weeks ago. Would have been lovely if the sun had come out! There is a beach, with real donkey rides, a pier, lots of fish and chip shops, restaurants and a few arcades, many many shops selling jet jewellery and a ruined abbey. Also train station with old trains - Harry Potter trains IYSWIM if this is of any interest to you.

If it rains, not sure what you will do. If sunny, you will have fab time.

I went for a day, thinking of booking a family weekend there next year. Having spent such a wet day, am now in two minds about booking a whole weekend there.

Gingerbear Thu 11-Sep-08 17:00:32

Its lovely. Lots of things to do in Whitby and further along coast, and you are close to North York Moors, so stuff like NY Moors Railway, Goathland, lovely walks to waterfalls. Magpie cafe famous for fish and chips, but the best one is a take-away down an alleyway close to the Natwest bank just off the pedestrian shopping area.

Can't recommend places to stay though. Have stayed a youth hostel in past and a B&B, but haven't been for ages.

bogwobbit Thu 11-Sep-08 17:15:40

It's sounding good (if a bit weather dependant wink). Thanks ladies.
Keep them coming, please.

ecoworrier Thu 11-Sep-08 18:01:29

Don't really think it's that weather dependent, although yes it's great if you have a sunny week.

The Whitby museum is great, even for children, so much to see and do. We were really impressed, right from children up to grandad!

There is a Whitby Wizard interactive science museum thingy. It seems really small from the outside but there is a surprising amount inside.

The steam trains are great, and in the summer they now go right from Whitby. Last year we went to Pickering, the kids loved the trains and the actual ride then we had a couple of hours in Pickering - coffee and cake, a walk around the shops and we visited Pickering castle.

The Abbey is lovely, and again good for a poor-weather contingency. There are interactive displays inside and a few activities like brass rubbing. The cafe there is lovely too - great cakes!

If you were really unlucky and it poured down every day, there is plenty to do a little way from Whitby, including other seaside resorts and interesting little towns.

butterflymum Thu 11-Sep-08 18:10:07

We had a fantastic stay at this property two summers ago:

www.ingridflute.co.uk/property.cfm?id=W351

Two adults, three children plus third adult (ie Gran!).

Onestepatatime Thu 11-Sep-08 20:21:34

YHA Whitby - great location, family rooms - perfect!

bogwobbit Thu 11-Sep-08 23:18:20

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Hadn't thought of the YHA but will look into it too.

ja9 Thu 11-Sep-08 23:21:07

We had a fantastic week in whitby this yr - ds4 dd 18mo. The weather was great. Might not have been so brilliant otherwise. We stayed on church street at the end of the marina - perfect location for me as a view of the boats was my absolute priority... but stairs were very steep for los so i wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

ja9 Thu 11-Sep-08 23:27:45

Actually, as your kids are a bit older, our place would probably be fine.

here

plus points - excellent location. beautiful view. perfect length of walk into the town.

minus - parking was tricky, steep stairs.

we really had a cracker week there. smile

Clary Thu 11-Sep-08 23:28:24

I like Whitby (used to live there) - lovely beaches tho the sea is very cold.

Sweet town and fabbbo walking if that's your bag. The Abbey is very interesting too with new interactive visitor centre now.

Fish and chips - I recommend Trenchers on the marina.

Oooh GB wonder which takeaway you mean there - the Royal?? or that one in Skinner st?

Jet jewellery and amber too very nice. Lots of lovely little shops.

Yes steam trains right into Whitby now if that's your (kids') thing. Walk on moors a must - I recommend the pub at Beck Hole, great beer tho I forget the name of it (but there's only one...)

Never stayed in cottage but a pal had what looked like a very good brochure...will try to locate...

(not great in the rain tho as not much to do indoors I fear)

ja9 Thu 11-Sep-08 23:30:10

you must try the 'gothic' ice cream - almost worth travelling back for!

bogwobbit Fri 12-Sep-08 10:10:49

Thanks ja9 & Clary.
I must say Whitby sounds very promising for next year and not too far from home (Central Scotland)

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 12-Sep-08 10:14:06

www.larosa.co.uk/index.html

I would reccomend a nights stay here, it's utterly fab.

ja9 Sat 13-Sep-08 17:05:26

bogwobbit - where are you? i'm in stirling. fwiw whitby was further than i realised - took about 5 hrs...

PuppyMonkey Sat 13-Sep-08 17:07:07

Loadsa Goths in Whitby... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now