Talk

Advanced search

hotel in Cork?

(31 Posts)
noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 15:43:03

Can anyone recommend a lovely hotel in Cork fairly central but will have a car.Going at hal;f term for 4 nights with dp and teenage ds.Want fairly nice but not ott £ Thank you xx

noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 16:22:29

noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 17:02:29

no one?

TheGirlWithGreenEyes Tue 09-Sep-08 17:17:17

noddy, you might get a better response if you posted this in the right section! You've been living here for too long!

I'm not sure there are any really lovely hotels in Cork City itself - anything that is of a good standard tends to be quite bland imo - eg the revamped Jurys or The Clarion. I've been for a meal at the Clarion and seen the rooms at Jurys and both are fine hotels but nothing special at the same time.

I think I'd prefer Jurys of those two.

Maryborough House is nicer I think (but haven't been there for ages) but is out in the suburbs.

Hayfield Manor s supposed to be very good - not too far from the city centre (near the university) but is ££££.

There are a couple of other older hotels in the city centre - eg The Metropole and one on MacCurtain St whose name I can't remember. The had got a bit run down in recent years but may have been revamped since I was last in them....

noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 17:23:42

I did notice that once I'd posted but couldn't be bothered to change it!Will look at hayfield manor need to book it soon ish.Do you live in cork?What is it like for shopping?

masalachameleon Tue 09-Sep-08 17:27:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

masalachameleon Tue 09-Sep-08 17:27:40

noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 17:29:03

thank you xx

masalachameleon Tue 09-Sep-08 17:29:45

GrapefruitMoon Tue 09-Sep-08 18:00:47

I'm not in Cork (it's TGWGE gone back to her real name!) but grew up there and go back a lot...

Re the shopping - tbh I don't enjoy shopping there as much as I used to - most of the British High St chains are there now and it's harder to find shops that are unique to Cork/Ireland - at least in terms of clothes shopping. What sort of shops are you after and I'll have a think.

Do you want recommendations for restaurants?

noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 18:03:24

restaurants and hotels much more important smile.We need to take a big group out for a nice meal on one of teh nights.Somewhere fairly central and lively i think.

GrapefruitMoon Tue 09-Sep-08 18:52:15

Not sure about lively restaurants - usually I'm going for somewhere quieter to make the most of rare babysitting services to have a nice meal with dh!

Isaacs on MacCurtain St may fit the bill but I haven't been there for ages.

One of my favourite restaurants is The Ivory Tower - but it is possibly more of a foodie place than a lively venue...

I also like Cafe Paradiso (it's vegetarian but you tend to forget that once you start eating) - just across the road from Jurys.

I'll have a think and see if I can come up with any more.

noddyholder Tue 09-Sep-08 19:09:39

Will look at the ivory tower for dp and I.thanks for all this info is really a last minute decision to go anwhere this half term so am going to book it all before dp changes his mind.Needa re ally central hotel now as we have several people to meet so would be easier

mumma2cjh Tue 09-Sep-08 20:49:20

Outskirts of Cork - Maaryborough Hotel - fabulous or Central try Jurys Inn - ideal and walking distance - great bar.

You must go to Lugui Malones restuarant - near the Opera House - excellent food

Ellbell Tue 09-Sep-08 21:00:31

Stayed here for work and it was very nice. Sadly I was working most of the time I was there, so didn't really get to enjoy it sad.

chipmonkey Tue 09-Sep-08 21:31:46

Dh and I stayed in Isaacs a few years ago. It was very nice and not too pricey. Be warned about the hills in Cork though, if youu're driving! Very scary. GrapefruitMoon, my dsis lives inCork and loves TheIvory Tower as well.
I would think the Maryborough is very expensive?We stayed there for my cousin's wedding, got a special rate but Dannii Minogue was there too! Ds1 and ds2 climbed all over her before my aunt pointed out to me who she was!

moondog Tue 09-Sep-08 22:17:50

We stayed in the Kingsley last year. Consulting diary it was 165E for 4 of us and it was great. fab spa and swimming pool and great bars. Lovely.

Ellbell Tue 09-Sep-08 23:41:27

I took my cossie just in case, moondog, but didn't have time to get anywhere near the pool. Tragic.

IIRC the hotel is a bit out of the city centre, no?

noddyholder Wed 10-Sep-08 13:36:08

These all look good Am considering the kingsley and will show dp tonight.Any must sees while we are there?

chipmonkey Wed 10-Sep-08 15:06:39

The English Market has lots of little foodie stalls, my sis brings me stuff from there when she visits.
Fota Wildlife Park is good for kids, sort of a zoo where the animals roam around freely.

noddyholder Wed 10-Sep-08 18:35:45

bumping for evening I have some great ideas here Brilliant xx

GrapefruitMoon Thu 11-Sep-08 12:59:23

I think the Kingsley is quite new - I've a feeling dh's cousin may have had her wedding there earlier this year - can't really remember what the consensus was but I think everyone had a good time! It isn't really central but Cork is a small place so only a short taxi ride into the city centre.

There is a Wagamamas in Cork now which might be a good venue for a large group - but obviously not very "Irish"!

GrapefruitMoon Thu 11-Sep-08 13:04:25

You might find the discussion on this forum useful!

www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52420

bundle Thu 11-Sep-08 13:05:56

iirc there are some great restaurants/cafes in Cork itself.we stayed at Ballymaloe, pricey but fab

seeker Thu 11-Sep-08 13:09:43

Arbutus Lodge (tried to find a link but failed) is lovely.

Dd was conceived in one of their 4 posters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now