Talk

Advanced search

Where can we go in the UK for February Half Term?

(10 Posts)
HorseStories Fri 05-Sep-08 13:01:22

Budget is about £400 - it could be extended if need be.

We are a family of 4 and come February we'll have a 6 year old and 3 year old.

Not keen on flying with DD2 so we won't be seeking the sun. We'd like to go away for a few days at least but we don't want to be bored, looking at the inside of a window with rain running down the outside.

We're outdoorsy people so we like getting away from it all but we also enjoy looking around cities, so long as there's something in it for the children. Our only must haves are easy access to an indoor swimming pool.

What do people DO for February half term if they go away in the UK?

What do you do in the evenings if you stay in a hotel with children? Is a week away in a cottage just a bit too long when it's wet.

No-one say Center Parcs. Unless you can persuade me it is a good idea to get a ferry to France and drive to Holland CP in the middle of February!

HorseStories Mon 08-Sep-08 08:09:23

Bump!

Anyone?

elliott Mon 08-Sep-08 09:06:28

I think your budget is on the low side, tbh - but might be ok for a cottage.
Personally, I usually go and stay with friends Feb hafl term - for the last few years we've made short trips down to London.
You're right, a week in a cottage in the country when its cold and wet is not very appealing. If I were to take that option, I'd g osomewhere spitting distance from a major city - or maybe just try and stay in a city? Especially if friends nearby to meet up with?
Best option I've found for cities is serviced appartments - try premier appartments - we've stayed in Bristol in these and they give lots of space.

HorseStories Mon 08-Sep-08 09:56:31

I thought about going to stay with friends in London for 2 nights.

If we stayed in a hotel somewhere we would only expect to stay for 3 nights maximum on that budget - maybe 2.

We just want to break up the week and have an event to focus on during that dreary time after Christmas.

milkybarsrus Tue 09-Sep-08 09:23:13

what about a youth hostel. they have hostels all over the country and they do family rooms en suite in most yhas.

HorseStories Tue 09-Sep-08 19:44:53

I like the way you think. I have thought about using a family room youth hostel to stay in and explore a new area.

I don't have an area in mind though! That's half the problem.

youarefabulous Tue 09-Sep-08 19:56:19

Lulworth cove in Dorset. Great Youth Hostel there and plenty of holiday cottages.Great wintery days on the many surrounding beaches,fab walks, easy reach of towns like Poole, Weymouth,Corfe Castle, plenty of museums like the Tank
Museum, swimming pool easy reach. I love Winter days near the sea!
Good luck!

HorseStories Tue 09-Sep-08 20:15:15

I also really love winter walks along the beach. Thank you for your suggestion.

TooTiredToday Tue 09-Sep-08 20:24:49

Long weekend in Birmingham...
Stay in holiday inn with swimming pool (so swim 2x/day.
visit cadbury world, aquarium, wander round the city, go on mini big wheel etc
Fab time had by all TTT's family

platypussy Tue 09-Sep-08 20:50:46

Youth hostels are great but many of them are only available on 'Escape to' (rent a hostel) during February.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now