Talk

Advanced search

somewhere good to go for family reunion - central england - 10 adults 10 kids?

(11 Posts)
ALWgreenwich Wed 03-Sep-08 22:29:38

hi - hoping someone can ease the pain of organizing a family reunion - there'll be 10 adults, and 10 children (ranging ages 1-10) - nice self-catering cottages in close proximity, with a few things to do on-site (pool + playground) and nearby.
The family is coming from all over - Yorkshire, London, Spain and France so I'm thinking central England - Derbyshire/Peak District.
Anyone know of anywhere good to go? I was thinking of Center Parcs but my brother has no kids so wasn't keen!
I'd be grateful for any suggestions....!

MumOfTwoGirls Wed 03-Sep-08 23:07:20

Hi, we recently stayed at Crows Nest Farm in Wiltshire (www.crowsnestholidays.co.uk) - 3 holiday cottages with private covered pool - the accommodation was immaculate and the owners are efficient and friendly. There was no playground on site but there was a large trampoline as well as the pool. Would highly recommend for a family get-together.
Alternatively, have never been to any Hoseasons sites but I believe some are good - may be worth a browse on their website.

jenthehen Thu 04-Sep-08 12:59:57

There are loads of nice places up here in the Peak District (I could only seem to find large properties on my doorstep when I was trying to find somewhere for a get together). There is also loads to do for all ages ie Chatsworth with its farm and adventure playground, stately home, farm and craft shops, gaarden centre etc, Alton Towers, Gullivers Kingdom, Matlock Bath ......the list is endless. I will try and find some links, I think "luxury country cottages" has a good selection. I will go and check.

jenthehen Thu 04-Sep-08 13:19:28

WWW.offcotegrange.comThis is about 30 minutes from Chatsworth and 10 minutes from the southern Peaks, Dovedale etc
Also look at Premiere Cottages, Derbyshire, Hopton Hall... pool, playground etc v close to popular reservoir Carsington

Iklboo Thu 04-Sep-08 13:20:46

Suppose Alton Towers is also a no-no?

bigTillyMint Thu 04-Sep-08 14:58:09

Might be worth remembering that if you go somewhere that caters for children (like Center Parcs), the children will be less annoying to your childless brother than if they're rattling round a cottage with not much to do!

slayerette Thu 04-Sep-08 15:06:39

How about here?

Lovely lodges in a clean park environment; a pool and a spa and a gym in the Darwin one, with a little shop. Set in rolling countryside, within driving distance of places like Chatsworth, etc.

You can all get separate lodges (different sizes/types available) so you're not on top of each other. There were a few child-friendly organised activities when we went in the summer but nothing like Centerparcs. The lodges were clean and well stocked with what you need in terms of cooking equipment, etc. We'd go back there!

Lilymaid Thu 04-Sep-08 16:21:58

Lots of groups of cottages in Peak District on this website

WendyWeber Thu 04-Sep-08 16:45:09

Knockerdown Cottages always look v nice & someone on here has been there (forget who though!)

There's also Harthill Hall and Hopton Hall

When is it for?

ALWgreenwich Sat 06-Sep-08 00:08:18

Wow - thanks everyone for the advice - yes, I'd say Peak District looks like the best location, Alton Towers is a no-no though as 8 of the kids are aged 1-6 so no point going there for them.
We're not sure exactly of when to go - i think probably March/April next year, who knows - we might get snowed in!!
Thanks all!

KarenG Thu 09-Oct-08 23:18:03

This one would be big enough for your group, but is in Somerset www.the-Cleeve.co.uk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: