Talk

Advanced search

North Cornwall - things to do and restaurant recommendations please

(8 Posts)
2HotCrossBunnies Tue 26-Aug-08 11:55:29

We (DH, me 2xDS (3 and 16 months) and my mum!) are off to Cornwall on Saturday for a liitle over a week. I LOVE Cornwall and have some ideas of what to do during the day (beach, steam railway, Diary World etc) but hitting a blank on some nice restuarants (other than Rick Steins and Jamie Olivers!) for DH and I to go to in the evening - mum has very kindly agreed to babysit a couple of times for us. We're staying near Newquay/Watergate Bay. Any suggestions gratefully received!
TIA

poshtottie Wed 27-Aug-08 07:34:52

We stayed at bedruthan steps hotel and the food was good (not exceptional). I think the hotel maybe open to non residents. It has a lovely bar for a cocktail or two.

I am also going to Cornwall this weekend, staying near Newquay. Lets pray for good weather.

Have a great holiday.

Anna8888 Wed 27-Aug-08 07:46:06

You could drive over to St Mawes and eat at the Tresanton. We were in Cornwall last week and we had a lovely meal at the Tresanton (though probably helped by the fact that we bumped into an old school friend of my partner's and his family who were sitting at the next table, and had quite a lively time of it).

poshtottie Wed 27-Aug-08 07:48:10

I have eaten at Rick Stein's. It was quite a while ago but was very nice.

pooka Wed 27-Aug-08 08:07:09

There's a michelin star restaurant in St. Merryn (between Newquay and Padstow) called Ripleys. Run by a guy who used to work for Steins.

Thought was good when we went last year.

2HotCrossBunnies Wed 27-Aug-08 13:26:53

Oh Ripley's souns nice. Thanks for that. We have a booking at Rick Steins too.

A distant cousin was staying at the Bedruthen Steps Hotel last year at the same time as we were in Cornwall - we met him and his family for afternoon tea. It seems a nice hotel, crazy with millions of kiddies though. That's the deal I suppose if you want child-friendy, quite difficult to ban everyone else's kids wink grin!!

poshtottie Wed 27-Aug-08 18:01:10

It was only adults in the restaurant though this may have changed since I was there last year.

2HotCrossBunnies Wed 27-Aug-08 18:37:49

even better grin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now