Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

packing for a UK holiday that isn't in a tent!

(15 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Tue 12-Aug-08 11:26:03

is it a self-catering cottage or caravan?

because if so, then i pack what i consider my essentials to cook: knives, food processor, slow cooker, spices, olive oil, big salad bowl, tongs, jelly mould, wine, coffee maker.

washing powder and pegs as well as some line to set up impromptu washing line if need be.

bath goodies - salt scrub, foam, candles, more wine.

we've only holidayed in Scotland, so yes, outfits for every possible permutation of weather plus extra blankets.

expatinscotland Tue 12-Aug-08 11:33:59

does it have a freezer? i always take along soup fixings for a quick tea.

and things to roast - a gammon, a chicken, a brisket. that way you can make sarnies or filled rolls out of it for picnics.

oh, loo roll and bin liners, too.

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 11:34:06

there was a thread last year - I'll check for you ...

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 11:40:27

the actual What To Take thread has gone (perhaps was in Chat ?) but some tips [[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=2412&threadid=367320#7489999 here]]

LIZS Tue 12-Aug-08 11:40:43

poo here

luckylady74 Tue 12-Aug-08 11:57:03

I get a tesco delivery to self catering cottages because I don't like going shopping on my holiday! Beach towels if it's on the coast. We takethe children's scooters as they take less room up than their bikes. We also take favourite dvds/videos. Itake shorts for this time of year, no trousers because shorts/wellies/cagool covers the children for all weather.

luckylady74 Tue 12-Aug-08 12:02:35

My ds1 has just accepted shorts(never for school though), but only spiderman ones and dd will only wear shorts below the knee because she knows how often she falls over - thank goodness for ebay!
My mil brings a sheperds pie and I bring a crumble for the first night which is nice.

madm00se Tue 12-Aug-08 14:02:34

I've stayed in hol cotts in uk for last 10 yrs. This is our basic list:
Decent Knife (veg, carving & bread knife) and/or knife sharpener-you never know what condition they're in.
Tea Towels-there are never enough-and you can wrap your knives up in them to protect everthing else from being cut!!
Towels-again you don't know what state they'll be in-we've never had any probs though.
Washing basics-dishwasher/washing powder & washing up liquid.
Kitchen towel.
Couple rolls of loo paper to put you on.
Never take dirty laundry home-why use your own ele & water-when you're paying through the rent!!
Roasting dish
Something to eat first night.
Basic cooking/store cupboard stuff- salt,pepper, oil, herbs, stock cubes etc...
HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now