Talk

Advanced search

nice place to stop with toddlers - near newport / M4?

(10 Posts)
loomer Sun 03-Aug-08 21:49:12

Am driving up to Powys from Salisbury and would like to break the journey somewhere to give the two toddlers a chance to run about and have lunch. Have been looking at service stations - which seem fairly dull on the whole, just wondering if any locals could recommend a play park or similar that's not too far from the motorway?

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sun 03-Aug-08 21:53:48

If you can hang on until J32 (am guessing you will want to join the A470 there), you can get off at Castell Coch - very, very close to the junction. Good cafe and grassy areas before paying (no play area though, and their "baby change facilities" are impossibly cramped. Better to use the grass...)

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sun 03-Aug-08 21:55:44

closer to Newport is Caldicot Castle does have a play area - no cafe, but next door pub - but iirc it's further into the boondocks than you may want to go.

sure a proper local will turn up soon

loomer Sun 03-Aug-08 21:57:43

Ahhh that would be perfect, but for the fact that my driving directions are sending me off at J24 and taking me up to Abergavenny.

loomer Sun 03-Aug-08 21:59:18

Whoops, crossed posts - Caldicot might be a go-er. Can pack sandwiches to ease cafe loss.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sun 03-Aug-08 22:05:01

ah, then maybe consider Caerleon, cute little town with parks. (Can't recall a play area but the Roman amphitheatre is freely accessed - and a sport field across the road).

think it's off the right junction and more in right direction than Caldicot, but we'll blame sleep deprivation if I'm wrong!

mrsmike Sun 03-Aug-08 22:12:58

There is an indoor play place called whirlikidz (?) in Chepstow, just off M48 if you are going over the old Severn bridge which has a good reputation though haven't been myself. Can find link if you are interested smile

loomer Sun 03-Aug-08 22:15:29

Oh PhD you're a wonder, sleep deprivation not an issue - Caldicot looks great, but we do have an archaeologist in our party so maybe Caerleon will win out. It's certainly ideally situated, am also chuckling at prospect of asking a local where The Ffwrwm is without laughing.

loomer Sun 03-Aug-08 22:16:32

Oh thanks mrsmike, is good to have a wet weather option.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sun 03-Aug-08 22:22:48

def take archaeologist there then - it's great.

glad I could finally help someone on MN grin

bed now though!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now