Talk

Advanced search

Help please with St Mary`s Scilly Isles?

(10 Posts)
triplets Fri 01-Aug-08 14:47:49

Hi,
Just rec`d a lovely invite today to go to a wedding next May at a place caled Juliets Garden. Know nothing about the islands. We live in Kent, what would be our cheapest option to get there, any recommendations for accomodation bearing in mind we have 11yr old triplets!

Ellbell Fri 01-Aug-08 15:11:58

It's pretty expensive, however you go. The cheapest way will probably be to get the boat from Penzance. It takes about three hours and is known for being rough (pack the stugeron and stay on deck if you can) due to the tides off Lands End. The boat does not sail if the weather is really bad, though you should be OK in May.

Otherwise you can get the helicopter (also from Penzance), which is much quicker (c. 20 mins, I think) but also more expensive. I think there are also small airlines that fly to the Scillies, possibly from Lands End. Not sure about that, sorry.

St Mary's is the main island so you'll have more choice of accommodation. However, it does get booked up very quickly, so I'd look into getting something sorted now. Can you ask the people who invited you to the wedding to recommend something?

Have a lovely time. It's a beautiful, beautiful place!

Ellbell Fri 01-Aug-08 15:13:01

Info on boat/flying

Ellbell Fri 01-Aug-08 15:14:16

Info on helicopter

scorpio1 Fri 01-Aug-08 15:18:04

Cheaper to go by boat, it leaves about 6am from Penzanceso best to stay in B&B the night before. My parents actually own a guesthouse that could take you all...about 30 secs walk from where you have to leave.

No planes from Lands End, only from the heliport in Penzance outskirts. Thats nearly £100 i think, but v quick.

scorpio1 Fri 01-Aug-08 15:19:06

i don't know about accomodation in St Mary's though, i have only been once despite living in Pz!

OrmIrian Fri 01-Aug-08 15:27:24

Not been but I've heard it's beautiful (but expensive!). My parents had their honeymoon there 5o yrs ago and went back for their anniversary.

Ellbell Fri 01-Aug-08 22:11:34

According to this, you can fly from Land's End, Newquay, Bristol, Exeter and Southampton. It might be expensive, but would save time if you're coming from Kent to fly from, say, Bristol, which would save you a good 3 hours' driving each way.

(Not trying to do scorpio's parents out of a guest, though! smile.)

Did you go to school in Pz, scorpio? I did, though lived in Hayle.

WriggleJiggle Sat 02-Aug-08 01:27:13

I can recommend sleeping under the lighthouse wink.

Ahh, wish I was back in my youth!

ecoworrier Tue 05-Aug-08 11:02:54

Juliet's Garden is lovely! We only went there for lunch once, many years ago, but it was gorgeous - lovely setting and the nicest, well-presented home-cooked food you could ask for!

We've done both the boat and helicopter, both have merits, but if it's cost you're worried about the helicopter will be much more pricey, especially if there are 5 of you.

You should have a great time though, it's a beautiful place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now