Talk

Advanced search

Northumberland or Lakes with two year old

(15 Posts)
gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 16:52:45

Can anyone recommend somewhere to take a two year old in the Lakes or Northumberland for a week holiday? We're not really holiday camp lovers but will consider all recommendations.

Also might need to consider somewhere that accomodates dogs as SIL and BIL want to take theirs.

Many thanks

MegBusset Wed 23-Jul-08 16:56:29

Hi Ginger

This is my favourite campsite in the world, depends how you feel about camping though! They also have self-catering cottages. We haven't been since having DS, mind -- it's got a great adventure playground but I'm not too sure what you'd do if it rains...

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 20:52:29

Thanks Meg, we love camping so will check it out.

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 20:56:47

Just had a look and lovely as it looks I don't think it will suit as you can't book. I don't fancy going all that way and not having a guaranteed booking. I couldn't find any reference to self catering cottages. Is that something you have to phone about?

roisin Wed 23-Jul-08 20:58:33

Hi Ginger,

This year or next? Any idea of budget? Number of rooms? I know some nice properties in Cumbria, but they do tend to book up early.

These cottages are very nice, especially the ones actually on the Lake.

I think they may accept dogs.

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 21:01:19

Hi roisin, we're looking at this year pref Sept. Minimum of two bedrooms. I'll check them out, thanks

roisin Wed 23-Jul-08 21:06:36

Oh if you're not tied to school hols should be no problem at all!

3 bedrooms-This is lovely

Jbck Wed 23-Jul-08 21:09:06

We spent a week here start of this month. Lovely complex, restaurant excellent and very child friendly despite looking quite grown up.

Only downside, quite far south so a 20 minute drive to most places, Kendal etc. Handy for Morecambe,Lancaster area though.

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 21:49:41

roisin, I@m loving those cottages. Gorgeous. There is some availability too

Thanks jbck

MegBusset Wed 23-Jul-08 21:51:41

Here is the link for the cottages at Fisherground.

MegBusset Wed 23-Jul-08 21:54:55

Am very envy btw of your holiday plans -- would love to go back to the Lakes but not sure we could handle the drive with DS, who is king of the car whingers unless he's asleep!

gingerninja Wed 23-Jul-08 22:08:19

Yes, I'm wondering that myself Meg although we could either split the journey over a couple of days or go up in the evening when she might sleep.

We may end up in Suffolk thinking about it!

daffodill6 Wed 23-Jul-08 22:15:23

Think positive people! - Had many a drive over 24 hrs to Italy with small ones, with no problems -- its all about how you approach it with them -and your timings.. However, they will certainly pick up on your uncertain vibes if you're not up for it.

gingerninja Thu 24-Jul-08 20:39:16

I'd be interested in your tips daffodil, we had a 2 1/2 hour car journey recently which was a nightmare. My DD escapes her car seat and just hates being in it. I had even bought a car DVD player hoping she may be entertained by that and it lasted about 25mins!

daffodill6 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:49:23

GN - no experience of car seat escapees - but rules is rules!
For us we always started drives to Italy in the early evening - a short while before they were due to sleep. For us its approx 4 hours to dover. Then the excitement of tunnel/ferry etc.
Out at the other end - its dark and so more sleep - and in another 8 hours we were almost three quarters of the way there and they'd slept most of it. Song and story tapes - hard work for the non driver for 2 hours ish and then a stop for breakfast. Some of the Swiss/Italian service stations have playgrounds which are great.

Final leg - loads of encouragement - lots of food - apple slices, carrot sticks, brioche etc - not too messy ( don't want to stop too often). More story tapes - I think we can all practically recite Ballet Shoes! Bit of I spy - as they get older - singing - 'reach for the sky!!' etc etc

When really concerned prior the trip I have resorted to 'gift bags' - a couple of cheap but entertaining prezzies, wrapped in several layers etc, which are firstly promised for good behaviour and then handed out and hopefully distract for at least...10 mins! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now