Talk

Advanced search

Can someone help me with my itinerary for London.

(22 Posts)
butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 21:24:10

Dh and I are coming for a weekend stay next month and there are a few things I would like to do such as London eye, a museum (dh into history), also possibly go to a few Vintage shops, I was thinking of Cameden Market but isnt there another market thats on a Sunday? What is it called?

I could also do with restaurant recommendations for a Saturday evening.
Dh isnt into poncey places grin and doesnt particularly like Italian or Indian hmm

We're staying at the Chancery Court but I think we'll probably get an underground pass so we can get all over London if needs be.

TIA.

poppy34 Sun 20-Jul-08 21:27:46

not sure about markets on sunday in north london (am in south london) unless you're thinking about portebello market link

I assuming chancery court is in chancery lane area.. in which case I'd go into covent garden or around for something to eat.. if dh doesn't like indian/italian why dont you go to joe allens.. its old school american but has a really nice feel to it (loads of old theatre posters etc as big theatre hang out).

LovelyDear Sun 20-Jul-08 21:28:21

Are you thinking of Borough Market? Foodie.

The Imperial War museum and the National Maritime Museum are both good for historical interest (and surprisingly interesting if none, too). the NMM is in Greenwich which is particularly beautiful and it is vibrant on a sunday with a massive covered market. You COULD get there by boat from the south bank, right next to the London Eye, so that would dovetail v neatly with your plans....

LovelyDear Sun 20-Jul-08 21:29:30

no borough not sunday sorry.

plantsitter Sun 20-Jul-08 21:30:11

Think Petticoat Lane Market is on Sundays but it's more clothes and veg than gift type stuff.

LittleMissNorty Sun 20-Jul-08 21:31:29

I reckon you're thinking of Greenwich market....tis very good (or was the last time I went).....you can get the DLR and walk under the Thames to get there....

thefunkypea Sun 20-Jul-08 21:31:33

Good choice of hotel - recently had a breakfast meeting there - it's lovely. You're walking distance to the British Museum at that hotel, and about 20 mins from National Gallery, and a tube ride to some of the other biggies at South Ken (V&A, National History). Agree w Poppy re eating out, tons of places in Soho and Covent Garden, mooch around until you find somewhere you like! I think the market you are thinking about is Petticoat Lane, that's a famous Sunday market, nearest tube Liverpool St. Have fun grin

butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 21:42:16

Thanks for your responses.

It was vintagey/clothing market, I could kick myself for not remembering the name but it could well be Portobello.

Lovelydear, the london eye and greenwich market and NMM plan sounds good.

I have been having a look at the map and trying to plot it all down. I want to make the most of the trip.

We won this hotel stay off MN last year grin. It also includes afternoon champagne tea so we have to fit that in at some point too!

Have just checked out Joe Allens on the view london site and it didnt get great reviews. Looks a nice place though.

Whats the Blue Elephant and The Stonhouse like?

butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 21:43:18

Or was it Petitcoat Lane???

butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 21:46:42

I'm switching off now but I will read all the replies tomorrow.

I may do a speadsheet blush

Blu Sun 20-Jul-08 21:50:51

Spitalfields market is a good place to go on a Sunday - as well as all the surrounding streets with their small independent shops.

Skylon in the Royal festival hall, or the Brasserie at the Oxo Tower have great views for Saturay night.

For more economical eating, Canteen underneath the RFH at the back is good.

I quite like Livebait fish restaurant on the Cut, close to waterloo / Young Vic / old Vic theatre, or if you are into offaly gastopubs, try the Hope nd Anchor, also the Cut.

butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 21:55:06

Spitalfields!!!!!!

Thats the one!
Thank you Blu grin

I'm sticking all these places on my autoroute map.
It looks a hell of a journey grin

fourlittlefeet Sun 20-Jul-08 21:59:56

I second spitalfields; you have the market, the bric-a-brac on brick lane, columbia road flower market a short walk away, and all of the shoreditch bars/eateries (particularly good and cheap vietnamese food).

Blu Sun 20-Jul-08 22:01:52

There is a wonderful coffee shop in a side street near spitalfields, big home made brownies etc - and lots of fab food stalls in the market.

A wonderful (pricey but oh so wonderful!) handbag shop on the corner past Labour and Wait...

butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 22:02:18

Ooooh so we could go there on Sunday and get a bite to eat at lunch, then bomb it back to Victoria coach station???

<pray and biting finger nail emoticon>

butwhybutwhy Sun 20-Jul-08 22:03:35

I'm getting really giddy now grin

Dh is going to hate it lol.
The Maritime museum should make him happy though.

Lola234 Mon 21-Jul-08 10:21:39

you could go to the sunday covent garden antique and vintage market.

spicemonster Mon 21-Jul-08 10:23:35

Oooh Chancery Court is loooovely envy

cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-08 10:27:43

I was in London a few weeks ago, if you go to the Eye you can walk up the South Bank past the Tate, up to Tower Bridge. It's lovely, about halfway there's a really nice pub, with seats overlooking the river and bridge. They did lovely fish and chips!

butwhybutwhy Mon 21-Jul-08 13:46:06

Theres a market in Covent Garden you say.

I've just booked the Gaucho Grill for the Saturday evening.
I think dh will like it there.

dinkystinky Mon 21-Jul-08 15:19:14

You can get the bus to Liverpool street from right outside your hotel (pass St Pauls etc.) which is right next to Spitalfields market.

You're also easy walking distance to Clerkenwell from your hotel which has loads of lovely pubs, bars and restaurants - Smiths of Smithfield is perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch...

LovelyDear Wed 23-Jul-08 23:57:09

the greenwich/boat thing would eat right into your time as it's a long way away and the boat takes around an hour. but historically very good.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now