Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can someone tell me about the EURO TUNNEL vs CHANNEL FERRIES please?

(8 Posts)
Astrophe Sun 13-Jul-08 20:32:50

Basicly, what would you choose? How long does each take (I am finding the relavant website very unhelpful). Do you have to stay in the car on the Eurotunnel?

Thanks

Waswondering Sun 13-Jul-08 20:36:57

Eurotunnel - 35 minutes. You can get out of the car but there isn't anywhere to go - there are about 4 cars in each section, iirc. But you can sort stuff in the boot or wander around the car - it's quick. Haven't done it with dc.

Ferry - we did Poole/Cherbourg last week - it was about 4 hours. It was ok. For us, it was much closer to our destination - a 3.5 hour drive as opposed to a 7/8 hour drive from Calais. Were overnight on way out and shared the boat with 6 school trips on way back!!!

Jas Sun 13-Jul-08 20:37:24

I chose Eurotunnel, because you can pay for it with Tesco Points, so it worked out very cheap!

You can get out of the car once in the tunnel, but there is absolutely nothing to see or do, so most people just stay in the car.

It is quicker than a ferry, and boarding and check in are also quicker.

Ferry is alot more interesting and fun for children.

Orinoco Sun 13-Jul-08 20:37:42

Message withdrawn

Ladytophamhatt Sun 13-Jul-08 20:40:18

one goes under the sea and one goes on it.

Astrophe Sun 13-Jul-08 20:41:19

Thanks, this is exactly what I need.

How long does the ferry take then? (Dover Calais?) I got quite seas sick coming on the ferry from Ireland, so I'm leaning toward Eurotunnel really.

Do any of you happen to know of a good campsite near Calais?

fishie Sun 13-Jul-08 20:48:13

tunnel tunnel tunnel.

i really do not like being underground but i hate being stuck on a ship for many hours much more.

we went to brittany and stayed overnight in honfleur on way there/back. not camping but still frenchy cheap family room.

Orinoco Sun 13-Jul-08 20:56:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now