Talk

Advanced search

How noisy is a hotel room at Stansted airport going to be?

(28 Posts)
KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 21:40:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 22:17:00

Bubble99 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:20:49

Depends what you're planning to do in it. wink

Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 22:27:40

The Hilton is not right near the terminal so that might be quieter. Theres a holiday inn too. They usually fly in/ out almost parallel to the motorway so not too directly over the accomodation. Even if you get a hotel a bit further away it will still be noisy if on the flight path.
They do fly all night they just aren't allowed to do noisy things like engine testing on the ground at night.

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 22:44:29

Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 22:47:34

there are no shops nearby AFAIK, only a few in the actual terminal.

Never stayed in any of the hotels personally, but have always lived close to Stansted so know the area.

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 22:49:17

SueW Wed 09-Jul-08 22:49:58

Don't know about Stansted but the ones I've stayed in next to Heathrow (Premier Inn I think, right next to runway anyway, Hilton) have been quieter and less disturbed by aircraft than my own home which is about 6 miles as crow flies from East Mids airport and is much disturbed by the take off and landing of all the cargo flights moved from LHR to here....

WilfSell Wed 09-Jul-08 22:51:39

I've stayed at Manchester Airport before, and it was fine. Sound insulation in rooms very good and helped a bit by judicious use of earplugs.

Rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jul-08 22:53:47

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 22:55:15

Ecmo Wed 09-Jul-08 22:56:30

Don't know the Best Western but looked on map and it is the other side of the motorway from the airport , about 5 mins away so would be quieter. Still no shops that near though. What sort of shops will you need?

girlandboy Wed 09-Jul-08 22:58:21

SueW, where are you? I used to work at EMA.

Hassled Wed 09-Jul-08 22:59:10

We stayed at the Radisson last year - lovely hotel and unbelievably quiet. Not cheap but would recommend it. Bit of a scary walkway to rooms thing if you're scared of heights - that was only downside. Impressively complicated coffee making machine in room but once sussed was great for that 4am start .

justhavingamoan Wed 09-Jul-08 23:00:04

used to be members of stansted hilton gym/pool and it never seemd that noisey. radisson is meant to be nice. why not just go for a b&b nearby??

Rubyrubyruby Wed 09-Jul-08 23:03:11

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 23:08:55

justhavingamoan Wed 09-Jul-08 23:12:05

there arent any near there - the only place is the sevices nr the airport. there is a tescos nr -but 5ish miles away.

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 23:14:28

justhavingamoan Wed 09-Jul-08 23:18:29

the tescos is in bishops stortford - there are some hotels there.

do you have to get food for your ds or can you bring stuff with you? (cant remember rules of food on flights now)

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 23:21:42

justhavingamoan Wed 09-Jul-08 23:27:25

could you call the airline to ask about food and what they can provide.

a cab from airport to tesco will be around £10 i reckon and £10 back - so its an expensive trip. the hotels nearer the tescos are all at least 3miles away.

it may be cheaper to look at some b&b's in villages with shops.

try:

The old bell

v cheap b&b's

you would be welcome here but i have a dog and if your ds has allergies Mutley may not help!

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 23:30:38

justhavingamoan Wed 09-Jul-08 23:35:27

doubtful if they have a shuttle. infact i cant think of one that would. only the ones directly at the airport would have a shuttle to and from.

take a look at the list of b&b's - you can always get a cab to and form and most of the villages around have a shop and i know a v reliable cab firm that could help.

you could always call tesco grocery directly and see if they would deliver to the hotel - then just order for a time you wil be there?

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 23:38:10

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: