Talk

Advanced search

S/C on the Northumbrian coast - all recommendations gratefully received.

(15 Posts)
funtimewincies Fri 04-Jul-08 18:58:04

DH, DS (will be 21 months) and I want to go to the Northumbrian coast in September, as we've heard that it's really nice and we've not holidayed in that area before.

Has anyone stayed anywhere nice (self-catering) that they could recommend? We're open to either a cottage on its own or in a complex with other facilities.

SoupKitchen Sat 05-Jul-08 15:43:36

Just went to the Park caravan park at Whitley Bay. Basic onsite facilites, but chaep and the caravans were clean and bedlinen is provided.

We spent time on the beach at tynemouth bay, just below the ruins, a beautiful beach, and quite sheltered.

BobbyGrantycal Sat 05-Jul-08 15:45:38

eeek
there are nicer places than whitley!!

head further north
the rocket house at newton by the sea is marvellous

WilfSell Sat 05-Jul-08 15:47:48

Bamburgh is the very best place to go IMHO. Don't know of self-catering, we stayed at the Victoria Hotel there (nice) but there's lots of places if you google...

elliott Sat 05-Jul-08 15:51:40

I have linked to various s/c companies on previous threads - search for 'northumberland'.

Tigerschick Sat 05-Jul-08 15:54:45

We have stayed here a lot. Must admit that it is owned by distant relatives (my grandma's cousin) and I started going when I was about 2 but that doesn't stop it from being beautiful.
There are 2 cottages and a few static caravans.
It's slightly south of Bamburgh - just inland of Craster.

funtimewincies Sat 05-Jul-08 18:15:35

Thanks! These are really useful when it's difficult to tell one from t'other when you're searching.

Bamburgh was sort of the area we had in mind, so I'll get onto those suggestions grin.

funtimewincies Sat 05-Jul-08 18:47:05

Bobby, struggling to find any reference to the rocket house at newton-by-the-sea anywhere on the internet. Can you remember who you booked it through or where you found it?

BobbyGrantycal Sun 06-Jul-08 11:03:19

i have the phone number of the owner... it used to be through a letting agent but will dig out the nuber for you

BobbyGrantycal Sun 06-Jul-08 11:07:07

low netwon

rocket house no longer on there though

Clayhead Sun 06-Jul-08 11:23:42

Northumbrian Coastal Retreats

Not cheap but so, so lovely and great personal service.

jalopy Sun 06-Jul-08 18:44:59

We stayed here

It was lovely. Very comfortable. Great base to stay to explore other parts of the Northumberland coastline.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sun 06-Jul-08 19:36:30

we stayed here in the shepherd as it had a nice large enclosed garden

Ther was a tesco about 10 mins up the road (which had a maccy dees!) and was near enough to travel to bamburgh and seahouses. Was clean and tidy and on a working farm so got to see baby lambs. smile.

funtimewincies Fri 25-Jul-08 20:26:01

Thanks to all those who offered advice. In the end we couldn't get anything that was in our price range for when we wanted to go, but have ended up with what looks to be an ideal place in the Lake District.

Thanks again smile.

yousaidit Fri 25-Jul-08 20:31:54

Oooh ooh just quick search Holly House Embleton, gorgeous cottage, we stayed there a couple of years ago and i'm a tightwad so it won't have been too expensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now