Talk

Advanced search

Short UK break for me and DS (2)

(12 Posts)
cmotdibbler Wed 02-Jul-08 12:58:57

Dh has been offered a new job which means that theres no way he can have any holidays for the rest of this year (3 months notice on this job, then starting new job). So I'm thinking about going away on my own with DS for a few days.

So, anyone got any ideas of places for the two of us to go ? DS loves swimming and animals, so somewhere that he could do either of those things would be great.

I'm don't need kids clubs or babysitting, and anywhere on the west side of the UK, down to Devon and up to Cumbria would be fine.

Dates and accomodation type completely open !

cmotdibbler Wed 02-Jul-08 15:44:58

Oh go on - someone must have a suggestion ?

cmotdibbler Wed 02-Jul-08 21:27:54

No ?

shinola Wed 02-Jul-08 21:29:51

i've just rediscovered butlins and loved it, theres also drusillas which has a lovely family friendly B&B nearby and is near the coast.

your turn! know anything about thr big chill?

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 02-Jul-08 21:30:43

I'd put in a vote for the Eden Project, if you haven't been.

Mutt Wed 02-Jul-08 21:32:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 02-Jul-08 21:34:28

btw cmot don't think I've ever said this before but love the name grin

TillyScoutsmum Wed 02-Jul-08 21:39:52

Farm cottages are great fun.

here

or

here

or

here

cmotdibbler Wed 02-Jul-08 21:54:09

Shinola - I did look at Butlins earlier on today, but it worked out as expensive as Centerparcs. Don't know anything about the Big Chill, apart from driving past Eastnor the other week. We've only been here since September though ! Did think about taking DS to a festival, but camping for the first time with him on my own might be just too stressfull

PhD - Am saving the Eden project for when we go back to Higher Lank Farm (which was amazingly good, and therefore booked up until the Autumn). Thanks for the compliment!

Mutt - thats a great idea. Hadn't really thought about a town break, but makes a lot of sense. Haven't been to N Wales for years either.

Tilly - those are lovely, but alas all only for full weeks over the summer. But will remember for the autumn/spring.

Mutt Wed 02-Jul-08 21:56:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gillybean2 Thu 10-Jul-08 18:55:26

You can get some very good late deals with Centre parks, especially mid week. Check out their web site for their latest discounted deals and also ring up and say what can you do me next week and then beat them down. How many other people are going to ring up wanting a chalet for a few days time after all. Better to sell it you and get your 'extras' then to leave it empty.

Right now their special offers page has their best deal as £198 for a mid week break between sep and nov at Whinfell, but they also have school hol discounts so I'm sure if you rang and said what can you do for us next week you'd get a really good deal.

Also watch the offers as it can sometimes be cheaper to get a three bed chalet than a two bed!

cmotdibbler Fri 11-Jul-08 10:17:25

Dh has now been muttering about the fact that he'll have remaining leave put on the end of his notice period, and so might have two weeks off at the end of September - when I'll be away for work.

Still looking at things though. Have now remembered the horror of the last time I took DS to stay in a hotel room - so many, many things to poke your fingers in, and I had to sit quietly and read after he went to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now