Cornwall early July or August?

(12 Posts)
helpmabobby Mon 01-Feb-21 15:10:35

So we’re in Scotland so break up for the holidays early July. We’re thinking of St Ives (for a week) in particular. Due to other commitments, early August would suit us better for Cornwall, however we could do from 9th July for a week instead but it would mean a bit of rejigging (possible but a bit of a pain.)

So the question is -how much worse is W/c 7th August compared to W/c 9th July? Worth the rejig of commitments?

We’ve 3 older teenagers and plan beach, surf, SUP, shopping and eating out.

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Eliza72 Mon 01-Feb-21 15:14:26

Have you compared accommodation prices? That might be worth while. I reckon there would be a fair price difference.
If it were me I'd go in term time in Cornwall just because it would be less busy.
St Ives in summer would be very busy especially with the amount of staycations this year.

Busy seaside resorts do have a certain lovely buzz about them in summer on the other hand!

littlemisslozza Mon 01-Feb-21 15:22:08

Definitely July if you want it to be quieter. I expect it would be slightly cheaper too as it's still term time for most schools that week.

ThePlantsitter Mon 01-Feb-21 15:23:36

100% early July if it's only mildly inconvenient.

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Mon 01-Feb-21 15:33:13

July definitely.

Funf Mon 01-Feb-21 20:02:01

Look at historic weather rainfall as I have a feeling its water in August?

Smarshian Mon 01-Feb-21 20:04:01

July, for reasons already stated above.

livingthegoodlife Thu 04-Feb-21 11:25:13

Definitely July for the price difference, early July is not as high season as English school holidays.

PleaseHoldCaller1 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:30:16

St Ives in August is heaving. It will be busy in early July but not as bad as August. St Ives is my favourite place in the world but the last time I went in August it was just so rammed that it really impacted our holiday. Couldn't get a table in restaurants without booking well in advance, queues for everything, streets absolutely rammed with people and beaches full. I'd imagine this summer will be particularly busy with people that don't want to travel abroad.

TriSeaSwim2021 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:31:12

It will go mental in August long queues on A30 etc. Go as earlier in July as possible I would it’s usually full of Scottish folk then 😂

emmathedilemma Thu 04-Feb-21 12:57:26

If you're in Scotland then always take advantage of those July weeks before the English schools break up!

helpmabobby Thu 04-Feb-21 15:31:37

Booked for July 10th!!! Thanks everyone

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in