Roof box help - pls

(6 Posts)
jim1234 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:34:39

As part of a master’s in engineering, I am looking into the possible redesign of roof boxes. It would be a real help if you could answer any of these questions for me.

Why did you buy a roof-box in the first place?

What qualities were important for you in selecting that roof-box?

What items did/do you store in the roof-box when in use?

How often did/do you use the roof-box?

Where did/do you store the roof-box when not in use?

Do you interact with the Roof-box (have a use for it) when it is not on the roof of your car?

Do you find putting the roof box on the car can be a hassle?

Thanks very much for your help.

OP’s posts: |
Funf Mon 26-Oct-20 19:01:58

Why did you buy a roof-box in the first place? So we could take more stuff with us and still fit in one car

What qualities were important for you in selecting that roof-box? Value and durability

What items did/do you store in the roof-box when in use? Beach stuff deck chairs etc

Where did/do you store the roof-box when not in use? Leave on the roof as it blocks the garage when off

Do you interact with the Roof-box (have a use for it) when it is not on the roof of your car? No its in the way

Do you find putting the roof box on the car can be a hassle? Sometimes as its a two person job

wendyindahouse Mon 26-Oct-20 19:22:30

Why did you buy a roof-box in the first place? To transport ski equipment.

What qualities were important for you in selecting that roof-box? Longevity, security, capacity, ease of use, apperance.

What items did/do you store in the roof-box when in use? Previously skis. More recently camping equipment such as sleeping mats, sleeping bags, towels, wellies.

How often did/do you use the roof-box? I leave it on from about may to september. I would use it for a period totalling about 4 weeks during that time.

Where did/do you store the roof-box when not in use? On its end in a garage.

Do you interact with the Roof-box (have a use for it) when it is not on the roof of your car? No.

Do you find putting the roof box on the car can be a hassle? Yes. It requires two adults and i am a single adult household. The t-track fittings make it easy to fit once it is on the roof. If I ever replace the roofbox I will buy one that opens on both sides purely to make fitting easier.

Embracelife Tue 27-Oct-20 23:05:06

I love my expandable roof box does not need removing
Was much cheaper than this one
www.swedishcaraccessories.co.uk/expandable-roof-box-3229-p.asp

Embracelife Tue 27-Oct-20 23:08:55

urbanloader.se/#/en/how-to-use/

MirandaMarple Sat 31-Oct-20 15:45:48

Why did you buy a roof-box in the first place?
For extra space when going camping.

What qualities were important for you in selecting that roof-box?
Capacity and appearance.

What items did/do you store in the roof-box when in use?
Camping equipment.

Once or twice a year.

Where did/do you store the roof-box when not in use?
In the garage.

Do you interact with the Roof-box (have a use for it) when it is not on the roof of your car?
No.

Do you find putting the roof box on the car can be a hassle?
Yes. Had to buy car specific roof rack, had to tippex which screw/fitment etc was for left/right of car.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in