Portree, Skye

(4 Posts)
Beanchop Wed 29-Jul-20 21:27:23

Hi, we’re heading to Portree for a few days soon. My kids are 3 and 7. I’m looking for suggestions for things to do please? Also, my 7 year old has asked if there’s a park we can go to? 🙈 Thanks 😊

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Thu 30-Jul-20 07:38:49

Playgrounds on the Isle of Skye are few and far between. If you’re a whisky fan, there’s a lovely little outdoor kids play area just down the road from the Talisker Distillery,
One of the most popular hikes on Skye for families is the Fairy Pools. It’s relatively easy and the waterfalls and views of the Cuillin mountains are well worth it. It’s very busy so try to arrive early! Though it does have a large car park, so parking will be less of an issue. On your way back from the Fairy Pools, there is a large playground just off the A87 in Sligachan. It has a small zip-line as well as swings, slides, tire bridges, etc. There is a hotel next door where you can buy a coffee.
Slipaway Beach has it all – a huge area of sand, and a huge rocky area with tons of rock pools for the kids to explore. But best of all, a section of rock along the beach has dinosaur footprints in it!
We were in Uig for a wildlife boat cruise and went to The Sheiling & Ella’s Café after reading some good reviews online. They were kind enough to bring a selection of kids books to the table.

Chemenger Thu 30-Jul-20 09:15:35

Skye is all about the outdoors, scenery, walking in the hills and beautiful beaches. The kilt rock waterfall is spectacular but you might be wary of the cliffs with small children. In wet weather (which is not uncommon in summer) then isn’t much to do on Skye in my experience, I suspect the distillery tour and Dunvegan Castle are probably shut just now. Take insect repellent, bite cream and long sleeves.

Beanchop Thu 30-Jul-20 23:00:55

Thank you, that’s really helpful. Some great tips. My husband wants to see the Talisker Distillery, we’ve booked a boat trip and I’ve added some of the others to my list. I went to the shops after work today and bought midge repellent x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in