new year holiday with dog but not able to drive far

(10 Posts)
tich31 Fri 23-Aug-19 23:33:34

Hi,
I'm able to go away for a week to include new year with my 15 yr daughter and dog. I can drive but only very low key so no huge distances.

I've tried to find places on the train but it's difficult having a dog and not driving.

Am I mad looking at places that are say half an hour away from me but are totally in the countryside and then paying a few hundreds to do it?
Does anyone else do this?

Just looking for ideas.

If anyone knows of a park/cottage that allows dogs and easy access for public transport please let me know.

Thanks,
Lisa

OP’s posts: |
HappyHammy Sat 24-Aug-19 14:22:54

What sort of area are you looking at, half an hour from where, sounds fun.

tich31 Sat 24-Aug-19 23:07:00

Hi,
Half an hour from my own home (near Newcastle)!! Just so I don't have to drive on any main roads which I struggle to do. I'm just thinking am I stupid paying for somewhere close to home but it does mean we'll away from housework etc.

Or somewhere close to a train station but that has walks, facilities close by (no car!).

We usually go away without the dog so this is a first.

Thanks.

Half

moobar Sun 25-Aug-19 14:09:54

Are you above Newcastle? What about Alnwick? Lots of places on Northumberland coast rake dogs, great walking.

If that's to far a drive there is a coach from Newcastle to Alnwick itself?

tich31 Mon 26-Aug-19 22:46:33

Thanks.

I was thinking maybe Rothbury area for walks? I love the beach but my daughter isn't keen.

rookiemere Fri 30-Aug-19 19:34:08

I'm member of a Facebook group called Dog Friendly Holidays UK. If you put in what you're looking for then if people have something that fits the bill, they will respond.

HaroldThatsEnough Fri 30-Aug-19 19:42:00

Ooo, there's a holiday cottage company we've used lots of times which has loads of dog friendly cottages near you www.coquetcottages.co.uk/

Their properties are excellent, am sure you'll be able to find somethng you like there. Warkworth is lovely, if that's an option?

tich31 Fri 30-Aug-19 23:16:18

thanks for your messages - it's been fun looking at somewhere to just chill out close to home and to not travel hundreds of miles or by aeroplane.

Still deciding but realising we have so much to see up in the north east and it is just nice being away from home for a few days.

Funf Sat 31-Aug-19 20:06:43

Not mad at all, we live near Liverpool so Lakes is 45 mins, wales is only 35 mins away, its like a different world on your doorstep, just get it booked. Friend has a static caravan that's only about 15 miles from home so you are not mad. I hope you have great time.
Every time we take the dog to Liverpool we get tourists posing for a photo, the city is on our doorstep but has so much to see and its always full of tourists, but locals don't see it as a place to go.

tich31 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:55:21

Funf......we love Liverpool! We stayed on the Albert Dock for 5 nights & loved every minute smile

I'll look at the websites you've all suggested. Never thought of Warkworth way.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in