Disabled Accessible seaside near North London

(3 Posts)
Spainintherain Tue 20-Aug-19 21:21:37

I want to go to the seaside in bank holiday Monday with my toddler and parents, one of whom is disabled. Can anyone recommend a good seaside resort for accessibility? So not steps going down to the beach, having lots of parking nearby etc?

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Wed 21-Aug-19 05:31:24

Southend is good.
www.echo-news.co.uk/news/14257954.wheelchair-users-will-have-easier-access-to-southend-beach-thanks-to-echo-money/
You can park along the promenade. There are loads of spaces nearby including Blue Badge spaces. It gets fairly busy so you might have to drive round for a while!
You can either access the pier via the 'top' part or via a lift from the seafront (this'll make sense when you're there!). The pier has level access right along it - but there was a sign up to make wheelchair users aware that because of the 'planked' surface there are sometimes gaps and if you have narrow wheels then you have to pay a bit more attention! There are quaint 'shelters' at points along the pier as well if you want to take a seat.
Although the pier is one of the main attractions you could just go along the Southend promenade and have a great trip! We walked along the promenade and this was flat all the way. We didn't get a chance to actually visit any of the arcades but they looked like they had accessible entrances.

Spainintherain Wed 21-Aug-19 08:21:55

Thank you for all that information. I will look it up

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in