Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Salisbury on a Saturday afternoon?

(25 Posts)
CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 27-Jul-07 19:40:55

We're going to Stonehenge in the morning and then spending 2-3 hours in Salisbury in the afternoon, just me and the DCs (7 and 2.5) while DH and a friend are at the football. Is there something good to do in the afternoon? Swimming pool, anything else good? Thanks.

notsogummyanymore Fri 27-Jul-07 19:49:52

just read the title and thought you said sainsburys hahaha. Made me laugh anyway. sorry...

ivykaty44 Fri 27-Jul-07 19:51:21

I did exactly the same, have a nice time any how where ever you end up

unknownrebelbang Fri 27-Jul-07 19:52:57

same here, lol.

No advice on either sainsbury or salisbury, sorry.

notsogummyanymore Fri 27-Jul-07 19:55:17

well at least we're keeping it bumped. Anyway...good luck (i'd buy a nice cream cake and a newspaper if it had HAD been sainsburys )

littlerach Fri 27-Jul-07 19:56:46

Don't know about swimming, but think there's Old Sarum and the cathedearl.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 27-Jul-07 20:17:09

at Sainsbury's. Might have to resort to that if it rains and we're too tired.

Thanks for the replies. Old Sarum is a bit out of town from what I remember. The cathedral was nice (trying to think back about 10 years) but I don't know if it will hold DS and DD's interest.

I might google something tonight if I get the time.

I live near Salisbury, cathedral cafe is nice. There is a childrens pool at the leisure centre but it gets very busy at this time of year. Also Clownabout (near the Southampton Road) an indoor soft play area. FANTASTIC adventure playground at Wilton House - I have got a season ticket for this and DD has never tired of it. They have a special area for the under fives too.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 27-Jul-07 20:22:42

The swimming pool looks great and there is a family session between 3-5 pm, which is just the time we need it during the football.

Mercy Fri 27-Jul-07 20:23:36

cod might be in

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 27-Jul-07 20:25:49

Oh, thanks, Milf, I'll check those out tonight. We won't be able to travel far as DH is taking his car and I'm not insured to drive on it, so he'll just drop us off and pick us up. An adventure playground or softplay centre sound right for a couple of hours. I'll get the addresses later. Thanks again.

TooTicky Fri 27-Jul-07 20:30:26

There is an animal trail for children in the cathedral - you look for the animals in carvings/windows. Cathedral grounds are nice for a picnic (depending on weather). Near the library, there are ducks and swans and things in the river. We saw baby coots last time we were there.

WideWebWitch Fri 27-Jul-07 20:31:20

It's a good library in Salisbury and right in town, might be good for an hour. The cathedral is lovely but busy but you could easily have a picnic outside on the lawns.

Wilton House play ground is fab although the slides are heart stoppingly high if you've got a brave child and a wimpy mother (i.e. me) Very lovely there.

TooTicky Fri 27-Jul-07 20:32:37

Where's Wilton House WWW?

WideWebWitch Fri 27-Jul-07 20:43:13

Wilton House is on the Wilton Rd just out of Salisbury, only about 10 mins drive from Fisherton St roundabout.

WideWebWitch Fri 27-Jul-07 20:43:40

here

FluffyMummy123 Fri 27-Jul-07 20:45:45

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 27-Jul-07 20:47:17

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 27-Jul-07 20:48:45

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 27-Jul-07 20:49:48

Message withdrawn

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 27-Jul-07 20:58:27

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I now have options for both sunny and rainy weather. Wilton House looks like it deserves its own trip, so I think we'll stay in town.

That picture is lovely and it reminds me of a photo I had taken many years ago and could never remember whether it was Winchester or Salisbury.

Cod - if we do end up at the swimming pool, i'm with a 7 y.o. DS and a 2.5 y.o. DD and I'm 29 weeks pregnant (black swimming costume with white band at the top). Say "hello"

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 08:13:32

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Sat 28-Jul-07 20:01:54

Message withdrawn

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 29-Jul-07 17:12:51

We went yesterday. Left home about 9.30, very crowded motorway, got to the roundabout for Stonehenge at 1.30. We were 8 miles away but decided we just wouldn't have time to make it. So we did a complete turn and went straight into Salisbury. Forgot to factor in it's a provincial town and not every pub will do food at all hours on a - gasp - weekend, but we did finally manage to find a pub. Not some twee lovely pub somewhere, it was a Wheterspoons.

Then I took DS and DD to the cathedral and we sat on the grass and they played with a beach ball and some horrible battery-operated yapping toy dogs we'd bought from a street vendor. Classy! I ate both their cakes at a patisserie, they think they like cakes but don't actually eat them. Then it was time to go home as I was going out in the evening with some friends and I didn't want to be too late at the restaurant. We had a lovely time, such a shame we didn't have more than a couple of hours to spend. DS was very disappointed we didn't go to Stonehenge so we said we'd try and fit it in when we go to Cornwall in August. I'd last been about 15 and 10 years ago to Salisbury and was amazed I could remember bits of it.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 29-Jul-07 19:28:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now