Talk

Advanced search

4 night break in or around South Yorkshire with stuff to do nearby

(9 Posts)
MissesBloom Tue 12-Feb-19 11:49:38

Can anyone help with a recommendation for somewhere to stay near North Yorkshire. Husband needs to travel up on business and stay half term week (weds Thurs Fri sat and Sun am) and wants to bring me and the 2 dcs. Trouble is weds Thurs Fri he will be working and I'll have no transport so need to find somewhere with loads to do on the doorstep or a bus or train route nearby. Dcs are 3 and 6.
Were really struggling as all the haven type places are miles away from dhs work (Rotherham) so will be too much to get in and back every day.
Anything that's close seems to be booked up.

Any ideas where might be suitable within an hours drive of Rotherham/Sheffield?

SiteMonitor Tue 12-Feb-19 12:12:24

Don't stay in central Sheffield, it's hellish to get in and out of.

I would suggest looking for somewhere to stay on the Doncaster side of Rotherham, then you can take the train from Donny to York and visit Thomas and Friends at the Railway museum (if that's your thing). There's also Eureka kid's museum in Halifax. Although these might be very busy at half term.

Plenty of family-friendly things to do at Don Valley Centertainment venue if the weather is poor. Ten-pin bowling, cinema, crazy golf, soft play, places to eat. Likewise Meadowhall, but again, gets very manic in the school holidays.

If you prefer something more low-key, then the garden centre at Wentworth has kids' activities and a petting farm and lovely cafe.

In South Yorkshire, you are on the doorstep for so many things, I have only suggested things you might want to do on your own, but as a family, there are endless possibilities.

SiteMonitor Tue 12-Feb-19 12:15:24

To add, you can get to Meadowhall by bus or train, and the supertram goes between Meadowhall, Centertainment and Sheffield city centre.

Buses do go to Wentworth, but may not be as convenient.

MissesBloom Tue 12-Feb-19 12:42:44

That's amazing thanks so much. I used to live up in Sheffield for 2 years (child free then) and had forgotten all about Don Valley.

I never though about staying on the Doncaster side, it makes more sense thinking about it as I had a nightmare getting into Sheffield from Rotherham last time we stayed without the kids, I just put it down to it being rush hour.

Im going to save all of those suggestions you mentioned, both kids would love them, I think York would be an absolute winner!

OnTheFrow Tue 12-Feb-19 13:08:15

If you go to york then you have knaresborough (rowing boats river etc) and Harrogate (valley gardens) on the Leeds train line.

SiteMonitor Tue 12-Feb-19 16:00:49

You're very welcome.

If you need more specific info, ask away and I'll help if I can.

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Tue 12-Feb-19 16:03:33

I live in Doncaster.There is is the Yorkshire wildlife park which is a full days out and complex with bowling Nandos etc,also large leisure centre called The Dome with ice skating,swimming with flumes etc

Ricekrispie22 Tue 12-Feb-19 16:42:41

Rotherham is 45 minutes from the Sherwood Castle Holiday Forest. There’s an indoor pool, farm animals, children’s play areas, bike hire, nature trails etc...
www.hoseasons.co.uk/lodges/sherwood-castle-holiday-forest-sher

FeedMeBooks Thu 14-Feb-19 15:46:42

Definitely go to Yorkshire wildlife park. Someone on here said there is a bus from the train station that stops very close by.
It is a brilliant day out and your children are the right age to enjoy the extra free stuff they put on in school holidays.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »