Talk

Advanced search

Wales at Easter - Gower or Pembrokeshire?

(13 Posts)
Sortingfinances Sat 09-Feb-19 20:46:29

Which would you go for?
Both a long drive for us so a bit extra doesn't make much difference.
We like being outdoors, long dog walks.
Campsites (in a pod/caravan in april) or cottages.
Recommendations appreciated!

Llareggub Sat 09-Feb-19 20:49:56

I live near the Gower. It's beautiful but so is Pembrokeshire. There's probably more to do in Pembrokeshire from a tourist perspective. I guess it depends what you want. Both are blessed with the most amazing beaches.

BBCK Sat 09-Feb-19 20:56:33

More touristy things to do in Pembrokeshire but Gower is closer to Swansea and Llanelli. Both places are fab

Bebe03 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:00:28

Both are beautiful, there’s better food in Gower & better beaches but as others have said more touristy things in Pembrokeshire area- theme parks, small zoos etc..

INeedNewShoes Sat 09-Feb-19 21:01:11

The last time I went camping in Wales at Easter there was glorious sunshine and we spent the whole time outside exploring - that was the Gower. The previous Easter camping trip to Wales there was frost on the grass - that was Pembrokeshire.

Therefore the results of my small scale invalid study are that you should go to the Gower grin

More seriously, both are fabulous so you should go to one of them this year and the other one next!

Doilooklikeatourist Sat 09-Feb-19 21:06:15

Both are beautiful , ( I live in Carmarthenshire , and would say stay here and visit both ! )
Amroth is my favourite place , sorry @BBCK but I wouldn’t recommend anyone going to Llanelli , it’s awful ( and I know , the inlaws live there )

topcat2014 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:09:04

Do check on opening times though. Some of the big pembrokeshire attractions (Like Oakwood) may not be open. (haven't checked though)

BBCK Sat 09-Feb-19 21:15:47

I was thinking about possible rugby matches in Llaelli when I mentioned it

DragonMamma Sat 09-Feb-19 21:19:46

Don’t bother with Oakwood. It’s gone downhill over the years.

Manor Wildlife is great (Anna Ryder Richardsons place) for a day out.

We have a place in Pembrokeshire and prefer it for a week than the Gower.

Marmitemadmummy Sat 09-Feb-19 21:20:17

http://www.owlfarm.co.uk my brother owns these cottages. They have lots of animals and I think dogs are very welcome.

Sortingfinances Sat 09-Feb-19 22:14:27

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies.

@Ineednewshoed love your study!!

We don't need theme parks etc. With the dog, unless dog-friendly visiting tourist sites is limited to a couple of hours.

@marmite - I'm checking those out.

MinnieMountain Mon 11-Feb-19 07:53:06

Pembrokeshire because it's stunning. (Disclaimer: I grew up in Pembrokeshire and have never been to the Gower).

HappyHolidays75 Fri 12-Apr-19 10:42:49

So we ended up staying in Mumbles and exploring the Gower Peninsula. Mostly walking, scrambling over rocks, playing on beaches.
It is beautiful.
Mumbles 'village / old town area / sea front' are nice to stroll along or cycle (off the road - great for kids). Plenty of icecream places. You can fish from the sea wall when the tide is in. Coastal walks from the door, or drive to other beaches. Rhosili is stunning, and the walk/scramble to worms head is worth it.
If you want to be outdoors, I thoroughly recommend it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »