Talk

Advanced search

Help me plan a trip to LlanfairPG

(9 Posts)
JustAnotherManicUsername Mon 04-Feb-19 12:35:26

DD(10) really wants to go to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, just because of the name, which she's learned to say, and I'm wondering whether we could do a quick/cheap trip there in the summer. Probably just one night away, two at a stretch, on the train probably. Other DC is 12. Can anyone recommend good places to stay within walking distance of train stations on that line? I wondered whether we'd be better staying in Bangor as it's likely to have more choice that LlanfairPG. And also recommendations for things to do while we're there that don't need a car. DD also loves dolphins and I know there are dolphins round Anglesey but it looks like you might need a car to get to good dolphin-watching sites, and even to boat rides (might be too pricey anyway). And any excellent pizza places in the area?

Thank you!

FeedMeBooks Mon 11-Feb-19 18:26:28

List of the nearest hotels. www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear-g1925973-d4227160-Llanfairpwll_Railway_Station-Llanfairpwllgwyngyll_Anglesey_North_Wales_Wales.html
The beach at Rhosneigr (train stops) is lovely so could consider staying there?

TheShiteRunner Mon 11-Feb-19 18:29:02

Bangor isn't amazing as a holiday destination tbh, as much as I love it. There isn't much to do in Llanfair either, except to have your photo taken with the sign! Caernarfon is a bus ride away and is lovely.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 11-Feb-19 18:35:02

How about this place?

BackforGood Mon 11-Feb-19 18:49:10

What TSR said.
It is a beautiful part of the world, and, with a car, so much you can get to see and do, but Bangor itself is really a university town. There's a small Cathedral you can look round but not lots else to see / do.
You are close to wonderful walks, and the Welsh Mountain Zoo is lovely. There are loads of great castles in the area (Caernarfon, Conway, round to Criccieth and Harlech), there are lovely beaches all over both Anglesey and the coast around N Wales. But not a lot in either Bangor nor LFPG

Funf Thu 14-Feb-19 12:41:12

Could you borrow a car? These places are well known for cancelling trains. I would look at the Llyn Peninsular as it has some fantastic locations, Criccieth, Llanbedrog, Abersoch but not certain on the train etc Barmouth is lovely too and on one of the main lines
As she has learn a Welsh word did you know about this place?
nantgwrtheyrn.org/about-nant/

This any help?
www.caernarfon.com

Ted27 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:57:08

I manage to get round north wales well enough by train. Conwy is on that line and we have done a day trip from Conwy to Anglesey - train to Bangor and bus over to Beaumaris. We had plenty of time to see the Castle, gaol musuem, boat trip out to Puffin Island and afternoon tea.

Easy trip from Conwy via train to Llandudno - trip up Great Orme on the little train, visit to the Copper mine, walk on the beach, fish n chips. Lots of other things to do in Llandudno.
Other good day trip from Conwy doable by train is the Steam railway/Ffestiniogg/llechwed slate mines
Conwy itself is lovely, castle, smallest house, boat trips. We stay in the YHA. The train services through Conwy are very reliable

CottonSock Thu 14-Feb-19 13:00:38

On (near) the train line are conwy and Llandudno. Bangor is not great . Menai bridge has got quite smart over the past few years. A few choices of hotel. You would be better with a car, could you hire one in Bangor?

DanielSpaniel Wed 20-Feb-19 21:41:56

You could stay in Menai Bridge, which is 5 mins by taxi from either Bangor or LlanfairPG train stations. There are a few nice places to eat there, including Dylan’s which has gorgeous views and does great pizza.

As a few people have mentioned, Bangor’s more or a university town, but it has a couple of hotels - The management centre is 5 mins walk from the train station, as is Eryl Mor which overlooks the pier. There’s a great Italian in the centre called Torna a Surriento - pizzas there are fab

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: