Talk

Advanced search

May half term - no idea what we want!

(12 Posts)
drspouse Sat 02-Feb-19 21:57:15

Looking to book for a slightly longer weekend (e.g. Friday-Tuesday) over the May bank holiday (first weekend of half term).
We are in the NW and don't want to go too far, so North, or Midlands.
We are already going to a cottage in Dorset for a couple of weeks in August so possibly not that.
We have two DCs who will be 7 and 5, DS has just been diagnosed with ADHD and needs a lot of "exercising".
We have had a good family holiday in London before (the train is quick from us) but I can't really see us surviving sharing a room in a cheaper hotel. We stayed in a flat then (but it's ours and it's now rented out - it happened to need repairs). DH isn't keen on Air BnB and having had a look we can see a fair few really odd/unpleasant looking ones.
I'd love a family friendly hotel outside London, or a nice flat in London, though I may be unrealistic for that weekend!
Does need to be UK as our last flight with DS was quite bad so we're giving that a break till he's older.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 02-Feb-19 22:00:24

Have you ever thought of camping OP? Children of that age usually love it and there plenty of exercise and fresh air to tire them out smile

drspouse Sat 02-Feb-19 22:07:04

I like camping but DH is averse! Not sure I can even sell glamping to him but it's worth a punt.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 03-Feb-19 07:28:59

Something like this? www.landal.com/parks/kielder-waterside

loubielou31 Sun 03-Feb-19 08:06:32

The Camping and Caravan club have little chalet things on quite a lot of their sites these days, (as do some private sites), it might be a good way to test the waters for camping, (but book soon because they are likely to get booked up). Or you could book a mobile home on a site. My children love it, they can roam around on their bikes and scooters all day and there's other children to play with. I can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit. There is a camping section in talk with lots of advice about choosing sites and what you'd need to pack.

hopeishere Sun 03-Feb-19 08:18:41

We went to this place and it was great. Had the pool to ourselves most days. Lots to do in surrounding areas.

drspouse Sun 03-Feb-19 08:45:01

Ok this has clarified my thinking a bit!
I think I'd really like to try a yurt/glamping type thing but a lodge seems just like another less nice cottage! No idea why? I'll keep looking.
On site fun is a good idea. DS can't really be left to go off on a bike (and DD wouldn't want to).
I'll check out the camping section!

anniehm Sun 03-Feb-19 09:22:56

How about a haven site - loads of activities for the kids, we opted for catered because it was so cheap (well think school dinners but you certainly got a good deal money wise). It's tacky, but it's fun for kids huge pool, bowling, tennis, badminton, go ape, and the kids loved the bingo too not to mention the "disco". Most are self catering though, but have restaurants on site.

drspouse Sun 03-Feb-19 11:39:42

I think we are really more glamping or family hotel people than Haven people unfortunately! I don't know what it is about lodges/static mobile homes but they are just not my thing.

TheMallard Sun 03-Feb-19 17:00:15

How about a youth hostel? They're great for families. Most do meals now.

Farm2019 Thu 21-Feb-19 11:04:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

drspouse Thu 21-Feb-19 12:43:30

Thanks for all the advice (not for the spam). We have now been invited to a family do at Easter which will involve a stay over in a hotel so I think we'll just do a staycation in May. But things to bear in mind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »