Talk

Advanced search

family holiday in Devon nr Okehampton - any recommendations?

(10 Posts)
dhw Mon 02-Jul-07 10:42:35

Staying for a week from Friday to Friday - concerned about the weather and the fact that there will be 11 of us (4 generations!) and I don't know the area at all....anyone got any recommendations of:

things to see
places to visit
places to eat
things to do??

Greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks
DHW

dhw Mon 02-Jul-07 11:02:22

?

slinkee Mon 02-Jul-07 11:58:08

Hi, I live near Okehampton. Depends on the weather I guess - is it this Friday you are staying?

Loads of walks to do: Lydford Gorge (National Trust) there is a coffee shop there for something to eat. Fingle Bridge near Drewsteignton - lovely walk and near to Castle Drogo (also NT). Meldon Resevoir. Tarka Trail.
Check out dartmoorrailway.co.uk - they have trains between Exeter and Okehampton & Meldon.
Exeter is quick to get to from Okehampton - good shopping - Darts Farm near Topsham is good for shopping also & a good place for lunch.
The minature pony centre near moretonhamptead is a great place to visit with kids - my dd (4) loves it - pony rides, indoor & outdoor play, farm & pet animals.
Pubs with good food The Duke of York @ Iddesleigh, The Bickford Arms @ Brandis Corner (nr Holsworthy), The Rugglestone @ Widecombe in the Moor.
If the weather gets good there are some lovely beaches nr Bude (Sandymouth & Crackingtonhaven)
There is a Steam train between Buckfastleigh & Totnes (@ Buckfastleigh there is an Otter Santuary @ Butterfly Farm)
Also Becky Falls @ Hay Tor near Bovey Tracey.
Sorry if I'm going on! It is pretty quick to Cornwall from Okehampton - Eden Project might be worth a visit if the weather remains bad and Padstow is fairly close. The Aquarium in Plymouth is brilliant! (but I personally wouldn't go to Plymouth otherwise)
Finally, there is an excellent Park in Okehampton (Simmons Park) near the Community College)
Hope you have a great holiday and let me know if you need any more info!

dhw Mon 02-Jul-07 13:31:38

slinkee

you are amazing - thanks so much for all of this! I will indeed get back to you if I need anything else!

Any good eating establishments? Nice family friendly pubs with good grub?

Thanks again you star
DHWx

slinkee Mon 02-Jul-07 14:13:12

DHW ,We tend to take our dc's with us whenever we go for a pub meal and The Bickford Arms has been popular with us as it was none smoking before the ban, they also do a kids menu (their fish and chips is def. good grub!) The other 2 pubs I mentioned we have taken them both in. In Exeter they have a Pizza Express and Wagamama's plus all the other usual high street food places. Also, near to Exeter just off the M5 juntion 30 (Near Martins Caravans) is The Blue Ball which is child friendly with seating outside and a few play things. Darts Farm is child friendly. I don't know pubs in Okehampton itself - don't think there is much tbh. but lots of village pubs to choose from. If you are looking for adult dining at all our friends recenly went to The Dartmoor Inn (dartmoorinn.com) and they said it was very nice. Also there is Michael Cains CafeBar on the Cathedral Green in Exeter - more informal than his adjoining main Restaurant -we have taken our dc's in there). Also, there is a pub in a lovely setting on the river at Fingle Bridge but I don't know what the food is like.
Adding on places to visit - there is RHS Garden Rosemoor near Great Torrington and Powderham Castle near is an Exeter interesting visit. Infact there's so much to see depending on how far you want to travel!
Slinkee

Rosa Mon 02-Jul-07 14:21:59

Great book if going over the border ..Kids Cornwall. Think they have a web site as well ..http://www.kidscornwall.co.uk but you can buy it in smiths, and other places dotted round.

petunia Mon 02-Jul-07 22:45:47

There's a castle at Okehampton which should be open (we tried to visit in October 1/2 term and it was closed!)
There's also Trago Mills, huge shopping place just off the A38, (Newton Abbott turnoff) which is mostly inside (if the weather carries on as it's doing!) but does have a model railway and lots of eating places. When we go down to Devon/Cornwall, we often stop there in the morning and then go to the House of Marbles It's the other side of the A38 (same turn-off) but it's worth going just for the restaurant (especially the cream teas!)
Also been to the Eden Project and Aquarium in Plymouth. (There's a retail park within walking distance of the Aquarium with a Pizza Hut). Or if you want value for money, walk across the bridge by the Aquarium and go to Cap'n Jaspers. An excellent place for food!
Being at Okehampton is a good place to be, you'll be central for most things and the A38 is a quick road.

dhw Tue 03-Jul-07 14:41:57

thanks everyone.

Slinkee - do you happen to know if there are any 'pick your own' fruit places nearby?

many thanks
dhw

Lilymaid Tue 03-Jul-07 17:16:08

I couldn't see any pick your own on this site but you might find it useful anyway.

slinkee Wed 04-Jul-07 15:41:58

dhw see www.liftonstrawberryfields.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now