London Tube travel

(11 Posts)
Serendipityme Sun 14-Oct-18 17:27:54

Hi, DH and I will be in London next month for 3 day visit. I've always used an Oyster card for tube travel in previous years (DH doesn't have one) but I understand we could both use our contactless debit cards for payment instead. Do we need to do anything before we go? Do we have to make an account and register the debit cards? Looked on TFL site but it's hard work!!! Or do we just rock up and tap in and out on the card readers as you do with an Oyster card. Thank you 😀

OP’s posts: |
MsOliphant Sun 14-Oct-18 17:28:56

Rock up, tap your contactless, done.

Duchessofealing Sun 14-Oct-18 17:29:09

Just rock up and tap in and out - just make sure you use the same card for out as you do for in.

Notquiterichenough Sun 14-Oct-18 17:30:17

Just use your contactless cards. No need to register. You just tap inst the start, and tap out at the end, using the same card.
Children are best with a zip oyster card as they get a discount.

Serendipityme Sun 14-Oct-18 18:25:24

Aah, you lot rock!! Thanks so much 😀

OP’s posts: |
Tentomidnight Wed 17-Oct-18 17:18:00

Do you have to go to a ticket machine to buy children’s tube tickets?

CraftyGin Wed 17-Oct-18 17:20:18

Use your debit card or credit card. You’ll need your own cards. If you carry multiple cards, remember which one you tapped in with.

nomoreyoutube Wed 17-Oct-18 18:47:46

Children don’t need a ticket - just take them through the larger gates with you

bookmum08 Wed 17-Oct-18 18:52:46

Under fives don't need a ticket but over fives do. Or I think under 11s go free when travelling with an adult. I would check that out. Transport for London seem to be good at keeping children's prices secret. It's amazing how many Londoners are unaware of the 5-10 Oyster Zip which gets over fives free travel on trains/overground. It is barely advertised.

Notquiterichenough Wed 17-Oct-18 19:14:58

Under 11's are free - just go through the wider gates, and push them through in front of you!

Tentomidnight Wed 17-Oct-18 20:39:49

Thanks for the info!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in