new year in Scotland

(6 Posts)
anyoldname76 Sun 16-Sep-18 19:00:37

we are going to scotland for a week over new year, its near aberfeldy. im so excited as ive wanted to go on holiday for new year for so long.
we're going self catering in a cottage, im going take a few basics to last a couple of days them im hoping to find a nice butchers, decent supermarket etc for the rest of the time.
We're midlanders so although it can get a bit chilly im hoping for some proper cold weather, snow would be a bonus.
Any advice on local shops would be great.
also my dh thinks snowsuits would be overkill, id like to prove him wrong grin

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Sun 16-Sep-18 19:04:47

you won't need snowsuits, but you will need hat, scarf, gloves and thick coats! i recommend the joules fleece lined ones for the kids, not sure if they do an adult version.

in terms of shops:
food.list.co.uk/place/54612-aberfeldy-farmfresh/
food.list.co.uk/place/55368-aberfeldy-butchers/
food.list.co.uk/place/55613-good-food-takeaway-aberfeldy/

all the best x

AgentProvocateur Sun 16-Sep-18 19:05:13

I’m not sure about shops in Aberfeldy, but what shops there are will probably close at 2pm on the 31st and may not reopen until 3 Jan. And if you want something from the local butcher, particularly steak pie, you’ll need to order in advance. Enjoy your trip!

anyoldname76 Sun 16-Sep-18 21:03:13

thanks, ive saved those links

OP’s posts: |
Fadingmemory Mon 24-Sep-18 20:40:06

You could visit House of Bruar, north on the A9 (approx 20 miles from Aberfeldy, closed on 1st January). Food hall, cafe, shops - will be Christmassy, commercial, quite pricey but perhaps good for a trip. Some lovely walks nearby.

MrsAmaretto Fri 26-Oct-18 21:07:04

There’s a large Co-op in Aberfeldy. Not sure what the opening hours will be but it certainly won’t be closed for 48hours. Google the main Scottish co-op website.

I wouldn’t got to house of bruar. Plenty of nice cafes, pubs etc etc in Aberfeldy & kenmore. The Aberfeldy Watermill bookshop and cafe is lovely, as is the cafe at the Birks (independent cinema).

Snowsuits will be overkill but proper wellies, walking boots, waterproof trousers would be a good idea.

Remember & put a shovel in your boot for driving in case of snow & a flask etc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in