Flying to jersey with DC and just a driving license!

(35 Posts)
user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 11:11:56

Has anyone done this? We go in a couple of weeks (first time flying alone with the DC) and I'm having nightmares about being told we can't board.

My passport and dd1's has expired and dd2 has never had one. I've been told to take their birth certificates but also this isn't really needed.

I've now just realised my driving license expires at end of September (it's a medically restricted license). Will this be a problem? Flying in august.?

I even rang the airline to be reassured but it only slightly helped shock.

I realise I'm being OTT anxious. And this is due to the whole thing being a big deal to me (it's taken me 5 years post separation to do this).

I guess I just want someone to say 'oh yes, I did that last week with x no of DC and it was fine....'

OP’s posts: |
user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 13:07:13

Anyone?

user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 19:34:02

Bumping final time, for the evening crowd.

Kids are v excited and I'm just a bit of a nervous wreck. This potential problem is what I've latched onto....

TwoGinScentedTears Mon 23-Jul-18 19:36:40

No, and tbh I didnt know you could because I'd have assumed the airports would want to see passports. But it all sounds fine and you've double checked, so relax!

Enjoy your holiday!

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 23-Jul-18 19:39:57

I went to Jersey earlier this month, not one person asked to see any id of any kind. My sisters both travelled just with drivers licenses but also weren't asked at either airport.

DropZoneOne Mon 23-Jul-18 19:41:07

I fly to Jersey with work. I take my driving licence and have only been asked to show ID once in 10 flights (and that was when I checked baggage at the Jersey end and they stuck the bag ticket on it!)

I've also flown to Belfast, Edinburgh and Glasgow all without needing to show ID.

I haven't done it with DC, but if the airline say it's ok, then youll be ok. You just need ID not a passport.

Have fun, Jersey is lovely

TeenTimesTwo Mon 23-Jul-18 19:43:04

If they say photo id then you'll be fine (provided you don't still have a pink paper one like I have).

Lucky you going to Jersey.

Say hi to St Ouen's Bay, and also to Indigo if you go to the zoo.

Efferlunt Mon 23-Jul-18 19:52:43

The islanders very jealously guard their right to fly between there and the U.K. without passports. You’d often be siphoned off from the main q at Gatwick and asked to show boarding passes but not normally a passport. You will of course need some form of photo Id just as you would if flying within uk.

user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 20:08:34

Oh, thank you so much! I know I'm being daft as like you say I've checked.

But the responses above have definitely helped.

Would you say a bus from airport to st helier is doable with 2 young DC and a case (plus hand luggage?)? We will arrive about 9am I think (keeps changing).

I wish I was a kid again and have not a worry in the world! My youngest is deciding what teddies to take grin

Merryhobnobs Mon 23-Jul-18 20:10:13

We went to Jersey in June. DD 2 so no I'd for her. I had my driving licence as zi don't have a passport just now. All fine. No NHS though see remember travel insurance!

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 23-Jul-18 20:16:27

Yes the bus is right outside the airport door and it's easily do able, it's stops at several places. Have fun, we went for a wedding and loved the island. smile

Olivo Mon 23-Jul-18 20:28:40

Definitely take the bus, number 15 I think. It is soooooo expensive in a taxi.

Have a lovely time, hope the weather is as gorgeous as it is now,a steady and sunny 25! The sea is delightful!

user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 20:33:26

merry did they ask you for your dd's birth certificate? My dd's are 9 and 5 so in theory easier yeah right

We are going to the Merton. I don't suppose anyone knows if bus goes up that way?

Merryhobnobs Mon 23-Jul-18 20:39:13

Nope which is just as well as I don't think we brought it. We fly from Scotland to Northern Ireland regularly r and I think in my head I thought we were doing the same usual trip so hadn't really given anything any thought. All fine except our DD took ill whilst we were there and ended up in a&e. That is when we realised no NHS. Treatment in a&e is free and we flew home the next day. Although the initial diagnosis was incorrect and our DD ended up in our local hospital for most of the following week. Our holiday to Jersey was a bit of a disaster because she was so poorly the whole trip but the island looked beautiful with so many nice things to do, if only she hadn't been ill!

user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 20:47:16

Oh what a shame, merry !
I wouldn't even consider they don't have the NHS. I wonder what locals do? Health insurance?

I have just checked and do indeed have insurance sorted 🤞

rosie1959 Mon 23-Jul-18 21:08:22

Easy to get a bus from airport to St Helier bus station then it's a no 2 or 16 bus See Liberty website As its your first visit would get a taxi from bus station until you get your bearings With your back to bus station go to your right towards Liberation Sq taxis outside Royal Yacht hotel
Jersey buses now use contactless debit cards for a cheaper fare
Beautiful Island just come back from our yearly visit
Remember to use Jersey cash before you return to uk it's not legal tender here

Olivo Mon 23-Jul-18 21:18:22

Jersey notes are not legal but coins are. There are 'English' currency cash points at most banks.

Re healthcare, hospital treatment is free but you pay for GP visits and dental treatment. I think Jersey and the U.K have a reciprocal healthcare agreement, I know when DS was admitted to hospital in The Uk, we didn't pay

The Merton is great, your Dcs will love the Aquadome! You may need to get a taxi from the bus station in st Helier.

user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 21:54:10

Thank you all so much! Such useful information.

Would I not be able to change jersey pounds at a UK bank? I still have a gilbratar #10 note from about 8 years ago 🙈

rosie1959 Mon 23-Jul-18 22:08:26

Probably never had to though Keep any you get separate in your purse and use them up first have found any I have left have been used as tips on leaving hotel or on ferry home Jersey has pound notes You can of course use sterling on the island
Also note most shops closed on Sundays

TheClitterati Mon 23-Jul-18 22:10:52

I thought you were just taking a DL on holiday - nothing else ( no bags). grin

Have a lovely time.

Thingywhatsit Mon 23-Jul-18 22:19:19

How old are your children? You can get the no 15 bus (double decker) which is right outside the arrivals bit of the airport so very easy. It's £2.20 for an adult cash fair. It leaves every 15 mins for majority of the day so you won't have much hanging around. Take that into st helper and then get a taxi to the Merton rather than try to navigate there yourself.

Taxis are very expensive so I would avoid as much as possible.

The tourist information centre is based inside the bus station - so worth popping in there when you get to st helier.

DropZoneOne Mon 23-Jul-18 22:22:37

Merton is lovely, I was there in April. No air con so ask for a fan at reception.

Buses all go from the station near Liberation Square, so you will need to change buses or get a taxi from the square. From the airport to Merton is about £20.

Jersey is not the UK, it's a British Crown dependency. Hence own currency, own government, own taxes.

Try the Jersey milk and ice cream, so creamy!

user1471530109 Mon 23-Jul-18 22:54:50

whatsit they are 9 & 5 the 9 yr old is hard work. We don't do buses really, so I'm sure will be interesting!

Not the UK? I never knew that! I have been before, almost 30 yrs ago age 9! I remember the zoo, castle in the sea and the underground hospital.

Efferlunt Mon 23-Jul-18 23:04:55

It’s never been part of the U.K. or a overseas territory like Gibraltar. its relationship with the U.K. is through the Queen.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 24-Jul-18 08:35:59

I think it is a 'peculiar of the crown'.

The 'Underground Hospital' is now 'Jersey War Tunnels' with some really good displays.

The Maritime Museum near Liberation Square is very hands on and great for children.

You can get a '4 for 3' pass for the Jersey heritage sites. (I recommend Gorey castle, Hamptonne, Maritime Museum & Elizabeth Castle in that order of preference).

The zoo is pricey but a good day out. The enclosures are good for the animals so you might need to be patient at some of them. The talks are excellent and they feed the animals then, so an ideal time to see the gorillas and orangutans (and learn about palm oil). The bat enclosure is super-duper. (Can you tell I'm a fan?)

Enjoy!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in