Talk

Advanced search

Cotswolds and kids

(39 Posts)
ChoccyJules Thu 26-Apr-18 18:30:58

Booked a cottage in Stow on the Wold for halfterm. We went to Broadway as a wider family a few years ago and I remember posh gift shops and a design/furniture museum. DD went to the wildlife park with other family members.
Anyway, I like old-fashioned stuff, eg am definitely going to the model village in Bourton on the Water. We are not big fans of crowds. The kids (6 &9) like to let off steam and tend to whizz through anything museumy unless there is a trail or similar to follow.
We are National Trust members.
What do you think are our must-do's?
Also, we are within walking distance of Stow so if you are local -where are the nice eateries, pubs etc? Even public playgrounds?
Am still pinching myself we got a cottage 4 weeks before halfterm! grin

IWantMyHatBack Thu 26-Apr-18 18:36:26

Dragonfly Maze at Bourton. It's next to Birdland (which is worth a look if you like that sort of thing).

The Maze is great though, there's a quiz to do as you go round it, we love it.

Batsford Arboretum is lovely, if that's your thing.

Cotswold water Park.

Will have a think and see what else I can come up with

Cameron2012 Thu 26-Apr-18 18:42:27

Cotswold Farm Park, Birdland, a little further afield in Gloucester area, Rococco Gardens, Gloucester Docks, National Waterways Museum, 😬

MaxineQuordlepleen Thu 26-Apr-18 18:46:28

Snowshill Manor has a fantastic collection of freakish items to look at, lovely views and Broadway Tower is fun and near.

Iwantacampervan Thu 26-Apr-18 20:47:36

Chedworth Roman Villa is NT; Slimbridge WWT is probably too far away but worth a visit.

duzzlightyearsmum Thu 26-Apr-18 20:49:41

If you go to Bourton on the water, pop in and do the dragonfly maze but also you can get a trail to do around Bourton from the shop there which is quite nice to do

sproutsandparsnips Thu 26-Apr-18 21:08:36

Chedworth roman villa as pp says. Also Snowshill Manor is interesting and NT.
Berkeley Castle my 2 enjoyed with butterfly farm.
Bourton in the Water Dragonfly maze, toy museum.
Crocodile farm very expensive but interesting.
Butts farm rare breeds
Cotswolds are lovely loads of things to do.

ChoccyJules Thu 26-Apr-18 22:26:50

Lots of great suggestions, thanks grin

ivykaty44 Thu 26-Apr-18 22:32:08

Stratford butterfly farm 🦋
Broadway tower has lots of grass for letting of steam & if you have a drink parking is free.

thedayismine Thu 26-Apr-18 22:45:38

Cotswold farm park is brilliant

BlueChampagne Fri 27-Apr-18 14:00:53

Swindon Oasis if the weather is rubbish.
Car museum and model village at Bourton on the Water
Winston's ice creams!

GreenShadow Fri 27-Apr-18 19:40:21

Yes Blue - Winstone's Ice Creams are wonderful, a real hidden gem. They are a tiny operation on the top of one of the Commons round Stroud but are incredibly popular. Almost no parking, so ideally walk up from somewhere else on the Commons and enjoy all lovely views.

ChoccyJules Sat 28-Apr-18 13:29:26

Oasis looks a good idea, presumably it's packed on a rainy day though (aren't they all)?!

happynapper99 Sat 28-Apr-18 13:43:13

Cirencester is a beautiful town with a lovely big park. They also have a Roman museum which is very interesting.

bellsbuss Sat 28-Apr-18 13:57:08

Go to Cotswold country park and beach, there are lakes where you can paddle, beach area, picnic area, play area and you can also hire out pedalos , jet skis and canoes. It's a really lovely day out, I've been going for years

ChoccyJules Sat 28-Apr-18 18:56:36

You lot have certainly filled a week and then some! cake

Dolceandgabbana14 Sat 28-Apr-18 20:46:36

Cotswold Country Park sounds great, I'm adding that to my list of places to go! 😃

Madcats Wed 02-May-18 15:42:18

Check the local NT and English Heritage places to see whether they have anything planned for children over 1/2 term. They are usually pretty good round our way.

In the -unlikely- event that it does finally warm up there are open air lidos at Cirencester and a huge one in Cheltenham.

Near Stow, but off the beaten track? I am going to mention Broadwell because it has a couple of swings etc on a large village green (plenty of room for football), a ford (not too busy and usually with a bit of water in) and the Fox Inn at the top. The pub has changed hands since we were last there, but I suspect it is still very much a local pub.

ChoccyJules Wed 02-May-18 22:13:09

Pub recommendations warmly welcomed, thanks!

TheresSomebodyAtTheDoor Wed 02-May-18 22:22:32

The organic farm shop on the road between Cirencester and Burford is lovely, esp for Sunday lunch.

A really special, family friendly pub with gorgeous food is the Gumstool Inn near Tetbury. The Tunnel Inn is lovely near Cirencester. My fav is The butchers Arms in Sheepscoombe.

Loads of beautiful 'free' things to do near Winstone's Ice cream. Selsley common or Coaley viewpoint for a picnic with amazing views/ kite, Woodchester mansion playtrail, Thistledown for walk and brilliant cafe. If you're in the area you're not too far from Slimbridge, Cattle Country or Westonbirt. Prema arts centre in Uley do fab interesting things with lovely cafe too. You could watch the Severn Bore or cycle the canal path.

I love living here!!! grin

TheresSomebodyAtTheDoor Wed 02-May-18 22:23:13

Sorry I meant road between Ciren and Bibury!

MaxineQuordlepleen Wed 02-May-18 22:27:29

Also, Cotswold Olympicks in Chipping Campden on the Friday night. The torchlight procession down the hill is magical when you’re a kid.

BlueChampagne Fri 04-May-18 12:59:35

Pubs: it's a bit out of your way, but The Salutation at Ham is super. Near Berkeley Castle.

ChoccyJules Fri 25-May-18 17:48:28

Getting excited now and been reading lots of tripadvisor reviews of cafes and pubs. Because I like food wink and I like somewhere the kids can be accepted too. TBH I haven't yet found anywhere which screams family-friendly to me in Stow. Looking forward to exploring all the beautiful villages round and about.
It's hard to get a feel for the geography, every time someone mentions somewhere interesting it looks quite far South...maybe the whole area is smaller than I think?!

ChoccyJules Sun 27-May-18 22:17:00

Went to Chedworth Roman villa today, more to see than expected :-)
DH is insisting I am worrying about nothing that it's Bank Hol tomorrow and we are going to Bourton on the water...I think it will be heaving. He thinks that's the one place we all want to go so why put it off. He doesn't have to live with him when there's a queue...hmm
So wish me luck!
Anyone been to Chippy Lido? Is it brrr? Would kids cope with that temp water?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: