Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions please!

(8 Posts)
WipsGlitter Sun 11-Mar-18 18:16:29

Looking for somewhere in England for this summer. We did Cornwall last year and loved it. Coming over from NI but ok with a long drive (plan to break it up this time with a naice hotel!!).

We like places with lots to see - castles, beaches etc. Kids (10 and 8) are happy with a bit of paddling and pottering about.

Was thinking Norfolk??

Accommodation suggestions also welcome.

Thanks!

Ricekrispie22 Mon 12-Mar-18 07:00:57

I think you'd have a better holiday in Yorkshire as I feel that the beaches are better and there is more to do. I'd aim for the area in and around Filey. Filey has an exceptionally good sandy beach.
Scarborough is 10 miles up the coast. Scarborough beach is a really British beach! Lots of sand, donkey rides and the Fair with all the traditional rides. Scarborough has a castle, Sea life marine sanctuary and a small steam railway.
10 miles down the coast is Bridlington which definitely deserves at least one day trip. Both children and adults enjoy Bondville Model Village and Park Rose Village.
You can also see rock being made (and have a go yourself) at John Bull World of Rock. If you've got time, go to Sewerby Hall house and gardens.
Unless you've won the lottery or you book well in advance, it's hard to find good coastal accommodation in Filey. We've had some lovely stays on farms just a little way inland and could give you recommendations if you're interested.

glitterbiscuits Mon 12-Mar-18 07:59:16

Northumberland would be lovely.
Lots of castles, like Alnwick, houses like Cragside, things to do, beaches

glitterbiscuits Mon 12-Mar-18 08:01:26

Or South Wales. More castles there than anywhere! Cardiff has lots going on. Barry Island beach or prettier beaches a bit further on.

GreenMeerkat Mon 12-Mar-18 08:03:23

Pembrokeshire is beautiful and loads of stuff for kids to do! Some beautiful beaches too

WipsGlitter Mon 12-Mar-18 08:19:33

Thanks will have a google today!

Spam88 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:25:29

Lots of lovely places in South Wales! The Gower Pensinsula is beautiful (first AONB in the U.K. 👍) - lots of castles and bloody loads of sandy beaches. Some are more 'seasidey' with ice cream and chips for sale etc, or some are more secluded and really quiet, so there's something for all tastes. West Wales also has some lovely places although I don't know it well enough to make any specific recommendations.

Tinkobell Tue 13-Mar-18 13:00:46

Come over to the Isle of Wight! Less of a schelp than Devon & Cornwall, less crowded. Stunning beaches, food, outdoor activities and lots of rainy day stuff too. Sorry for the plug, but look up "Classic Cottages 4044 The Haven" - 5 star cottage, 1 minute from pub, 5 mins from beach...something for everyone. Good luck!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: