Talk

Advanced search

Isle of Wight - Help with DC not quite teens

(15 Posts)
MercedesDeMonteChristo Thu 08-Mar-18 17:33:52

Planning our October half term holiday and have decided to stay in the UK and am thinking about the IOW. Any advice on where to stay/best way to travel etc much appreciated

- 3 DCs aged 12,10 and 7
- Prefer a nice hotel to self catering
- The boys enjoy heritage type things and DS3 loves a zoo and I know there is one
- Would really like to get us all out being a bit more active
- We will drive
- Could combine with an overnight or 2 in SOuthampton or Portsmouth if there are some cool things to see

So where should I look, so far Luccombe Hall and Nightingale Hotel seem good (the latter slightly wacky but I think the kids would love the gothic Victorian style).

Very excited about this.

Ricekrispie22 Sat 10-Mar-18 11:20:39

If you don't get a space at Luccombe Hall, try Luccombe Manor - www.luccombemanor.co.uk/home/leisure-facilities Unsurprisingly, its very similar to Luccombe Hall! All the same facilities for children and direct beach access.
If you stay at either one of these, you'll be close to Dinosaur Isle which is such an engaging museum and well worth your time and money.
You'll also be near to Goodleaf Tree Climbing centre which has 2-hour have a go sessions. Unfortunately it's only for children aged over 8 years but if you do it on Wednesday you could take your youngest to Welly Wednesday at Briddlesford Farm www.briddlesford.co.uk/welly-wednesdays/ which is nearby.
I'd also recommend Godshill Model Village and the steam railway.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Sun 11-Mar-18 13:26:20

Thanks so much. All noted.

laurz75 Sun 11-Mar-18 13:44:55

The dockyard at Portsmouth is brilliant for all ages...highly recommend it. On the IOW there is Carisbrooke Castle, Osbourne House. Also recommend Robin Hill Country Park and a lovely walk up Tennyson Down. We stayed in a lovely pub called The Chequers Inn which was right in the middle of the island - perfect for travelling from. Book ferry as early as possible and be flexible on times to get best deal..it jumps up hugely in price as you get closer to travel dates.

clairethewitch70 Sun 11-Mar-18 13:47:15

My children loved Amazon World & Blackgang chine. The wax museum too.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Mon 12-Mar-18 09:55:09

Ah, that is great advice re: ferry. So great ideas here. DS3 loves dinosaurs and animals and is very outdoorsy so sounds like he will have a whale of a time. DS1&2 a bit more into the idea of castles etc so it really does sound like it might have everything for all of us.

I think we will almost certainly go for a hotel, but any recs for houses/cottages in case we change our mind? I do love a sea view (even in October).

clairethewitch70 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:49:29

We stayed here a few years ago and it was lovely. Just a short walk from the beach.

www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/accommodation/windmill-cottages-p163261

Tinkobell Tue 13-Mar-18 12:56:47

Hello - I know you've said hotel not self catering but do think on it. Hotel means just plonked on bed watching tv at night - dull. Sorry for plug, but we have lovely cottage in St. Helens, 30 secs walk from cosy pub. Look us up Google "Classic Cottages 4044 The Haven". Fully managed by a great island based team. Lots of teens - also google Tacktisle Adventures, they are 15 mins walk from the cottage.
Hope you get your break!!!

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 13-Mar-18 15:57:43

Hi Tinkobell - I am not ruling out something like this but we do enjoy he hotel experience of holidays. We usually spend part of the summer overseas as we have a family holiday house so shorter breaks we like being catered for etc. I'll take a look anyway as still working things ou.

BrieAndChilli Tue 13-Mar-18 16:05:32

We downloaded a Treasure Trail for the Isle of Wight when we went, you have clues that take you around the village/town/area you have chosen, good way to get kids active and you walk around parts that you wouldn’t necessarily normally
We also did the one for Ilfracombe, MIL lives there and so I’ve been there a million times, even lived there with her for a bit and when we did the trail it took us down an alley with mosaic picture tiles all down it- i had never been down it before!!

Tinkobell Tue 13-Mar-18 17:22:08

Hotels on IOW per night are ££££. Seaview hotel is lovely but around £110 / £120 per room. Premier Inn Newport cheaper but not a holiday feel. Quite a few resort hotels unless you go upmarket (Royal Ventnor) are a bit cheesy. St Helens has Dans Kitchen - amazing food!!!!

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 13-Mar-18 21:36:16

Thanks so much. Really quite excited now, even if it's not until October.

MercedesDeMonteChristo Tue 13-Mar-18 21:37:46

We'll definitely want something a bit nicer than Premier Inn. The hotel is something we are willing to pay for to be honest.

Tinkobell Wed 14-Mar-18 07:02:25

The sea is the warmest in October by the way! My eldest swims around like it's the Caribbean!

MercedesDeMonteChristo Wed 14-Mar-18 08:33:51

Good to know. Mine are like fish so this will please them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: