Talk

Advanced search

Holiday with 3yo and 4mo, somewhere between Swansea and Reading? Maybe Forest of Dean?

(16 Posts)
TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sat 13-Jan-18 20:24:32

Hoping to get a break in early June with DC1 and DC2 (due any day) and dh.

Trying to find somewhere with enough to entertain DC1, but also convenient with a young baby. Would almost definitely need to be self catering and maybe somewhere with a play area on site.

We were looking at Centreparcs Longleat, but the accommodation gets dreadful reviews on lots of sites, which has sort of put me off. I also read it’s hilly there, so not ideal with a pushchair.

We don’t need a swimming pool tbh, as dc1 gets bored of them fairly quickly and dc2 probably won’t get to enjoy them as too little.

I was looking at a Forest Holiday in Forest of Dean, though not sure what there is to do round there.

Help much appreciated.

gassylady Sat 13-Jan-18 20:27:05

White mead park has been lived by friends but not been myself. There is lots to do in the area perhaps stretch to a trip to techniquest (science centre) in Cardiff has a great water area

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sat 13-Jan-18 20:28:35

Thanks, I’ll look it up.

Caselgarcia Sat 13-Jan-18 20:31:28

forest of Dean is great if you are an outdoor type. Puzzlewood ,Dean railway and clearwell caves are worth visiting. Whitemead Park may be worth a look.

Crumbs1 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:34:07

A cottage near longleat might do. You can get Longleat tickets and go in for several days so you don’t have to cram everything into one long day. Then a day in Bath - Victoria Park is excellent.

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sat 13-Jan-18 20:37:37

Oh that’s an idea @crumbs. Whitemead looks nice.

I wouldn’t say we’re hugely outdoorsy, but I do like doing bike rides and walks on holiday, if we can. Not sure of logistics with toddler and baby though...

KadabrasSpoon Sat 13-Jan-18 20:40:14

Forest of Dean is lovely. If you stay at puzzle wood the kids can feed the animals each morning and there's a toddler race track and maze.

OlafLovesAnna Sat 13-Jan-18 20:58:30

We were recently at CP Longleat and our accommodation was gorgeous - 3 bed pine lodge. It was hilly but nothing a 4 yr old couldn't happily walk and buggies would be equally easy as the paths are wide and smooth and have wooden pedestrian walkway things over anything remotely steep so that's it more a series of gentle slopes.

Longleat itself is good fun too.

juniorcakeoff Sat 13-Jan-18 21:06:47

If you are not interested in swimming pool I wouldn't bother with somewhere like centreparcs. What is your budget approx? What does the 3 year old like doing and what do the adults like doing? Monmouthshire and Gloucester are both great areas with lots to do, I would second Forest of Dean (though maybe not Clearwell Caves with your age children).

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sat 13-Jan-18 22:05:28

Thanks all.

@junior

The 3yo is high energy and mainly likes running around or games which involve running around / climbing / throwing things! She quite likes animals too, which is why we thought Longleat might be good, although tbh, she seems less interested in animals if she can’t touch or talk to them iyswim, so don’t know.

DH likes sport, (and sporty games - a bit like dd). I’m more of a quiet walk / bike ride in the woods with picnic type.

Dh and I love food. Dd isn’t fussed, which is why self-catering works well for us.

We’ve been to Bluestone in Wales and we weren’t that into the pool. It was a lot of faff (and quite crowded) for not much entertainment for us. Dd got bored and so did we. So, yes, I think centreparcs might not really be worth it for us right now.

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sat 13-Jan-18 22:10:00

Puzzlewood looks amazing btw @kadabras.

juniorcakeoff Sat 13-Jan-18 22:15:09

Right I know this might sound mad with a 4 month old...but SIL went here [[ www.penhein.co.uk ]] with a baby & 4 y o and absolutely loved it, we visited her there for a day and the yurt thing did look bloody amazing. Not cheap though.

TheHandmaidsTail Sat 13-Jan-18 22:16:50

Came to reconnect whitemead. Lovely accommodation, swimming pool and they do lots in the hols but worth checking term time. Soft play area too

TheHandmaidsTail Sat 13-Jan-18 22:19:02

Sorry just seen not fussed about swimming! There are outdoor play areas and some caves nearby, not far from puzzlewood. Opposite there is a kids railway with little train and lots of outdoor equipment.

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sun 14-Jan-18 07:45:00

Ooooh hadn’t considered glamping! That’s a nice idea too.

Still looking at Whitemead as well.

Cookie2018 Tue 16-Jan-18 16:31:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: