Talk

Advanced search

Where to go in the UK for a summer holiday with little ones?

(38 Posts)
Ding3kids Sat 16-Dec-17 23:05:17

Hey
Where's good to go for a summer holiday in the UK? This summer I'll have a 18 month old, 3 year old and 5 year old. Thinking of staying UK based this year (last year flew and 3 car seats flying was a bit of a stress) plus will be good to explore more UK.
Not Cornwall/ Devon as go there every year already.
Been wondering about Scotland but aren't there midges? Isle of Wight? Isle of man? No idea where to choose
I'm in Cheshire, don't mind a bit of a drive as long as it's worth it when we get there.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 16-Dec-17 23:08:28

Tenby. It's a lovely drive down through Wales from Cheshire.
The town is charming and it has fabulous beaches.

AdaColeman Sat 16-Dec-17 23:14:07

Pembrokeshire has some lovely small bays, nice for children, or the Gower has some very pretty beaches on a larger scale.

ProseccoMamam Sat 16-Dec-17 23:16:04

I think a butlins/pontins/haven might be a better option if you have three kids, they have plenty of things to keep them occupied and you can always venture out of the complex to a nearby village/beach if you want to also go sightseeing

Minniemountain Sun 17-Dec-17 08:18:16

We take DS "home" to Pembrokeshire every summer and spend most of our time on the beach.
It depends what you want too- a beach holiday in a place DH and I love satisfies us all or Butlins is great for a more child focused holiday.

Ropsleybunny Sun 17-Dec-17 08:19:31

North Norfolk, Wells, Cromer, Sheringham are all lovely for families.

icklekid Sun 17-Dec-17 08:19:46

Northumberland is always stunning. Beautiful beaches plenty of castles and nt type places to explore...

KnockMeDown Sun 17-Dec-17 08:19:59

I can highly recommend the Isle of Wight. So much to do and see, and beautiful beaches.

Bubblysqueak Sun 17-Dec-17 08:20:36

Tenby/Pembrokeshire is fantastic especially for little ones. A visit to folly farm is a must, We usually go twice using their return pass.

ScottishDiblet Sun 17-Dec-17 08:22:16

North Norfolk! We stayed at an AMAZING cluster of cottages for half term last October called Cranmer Country Cottages and we had the BEST time. There was so much to do locally plus an indoor pool and amazing garden and playground. Beautiful beaches nearby if you have good weather.

CheshireSplat Sun 17-Dec-17 08:22:18

Another one recommending N Wales (Llyn) or S / W Wales. Some fab beaches!!!

MirandaWest Sun 17-Dec-17 08:22:26

Northumberland is lovely. Isle of Man also lovely but more of a problem to get to (either need ferry or to fly there). North Wales also a beautiful place.

None of them are reliably warm of course but there's plenty of things to visit.

MsAwesomeDragon Sun 17-Dec-17 08:23:02

Northumberland coast is always lovely. As is the lake District. We enjoyed North Wales too, and the Yorkshire cost.

Petalflowers Sun 17-Dec-17 08:27:27

I was going to suggest Isle of Wight as well. The ferry trip across is exciting for little ones, and makes you feel you are going abroad. There’s lots to,do there also.

Ropsleybunny Sun 17-Dec-17 08:30:03

The weather in Norfolk is usually good. They have the lowest rainfall figures in the UK.

Hoppinggreen Sun 17-Dec-17 08:31:43

Norfolk, Northumbria or North Yorkshire coast

OneWildNightWithJBJ Sun 17-Dec-17 08:36:53

I was going to suggest Scotland, although yes, there are midges. Sometimes they bother us, sometimes not! The beaches are beautiful though and empty. Otherwise, Norfolk is nice (Holkham beach). Isle of Wight there's lots to do. I've heard Northumberland is lovely, although not been there myself.

Snafflebrain Sun 17-Dec-17 08:38:22

Whitby & the North York Moors. Seaside + the moors, loads to do across the whole region and a day in York on the way home. I last went when DC were 3&4. We split each day in half and the short lunchtime drive to the next place gave the DC a small nap to perk them up for the afternoon.

longestlurkerever Sun 17-Dec-17 08:40:39

We absolutely love the Scottish islands. Arran or Mull. Mull is further but has Tobermory, which your LOs might be familiar with as Balamory and in the Summer you can do a magical ferry trip to Staffa covered in puffins. We also did Anglesey last year which was easy from Cheshire and had a lot going for it - similar to Cornwall but less crowded. Northumberland also lovely - but nowhere compares to the Western Isles.

longestlurkerever Sun 17-Dec-17 08:41:29

PS midges are better on the islands than by the lochs. They still exist, but we went with a baby and toddler in August and didn't really get bothered.

8mileeminem Sun 17-Dec-17 08:42:22

Dorset is a must, we went in August and stayed at oakdene forest park and it was amazing, it had everything we wanted, forest for walks , picnics etc, beaches, towns, so much to see and do.

newmumwithquestions Sun 17-Dec-17 08:46:24

We’ve been to the Isle of Wight twice with children and thinking of going again.
It’s got loads for kids to do - Blackgang Chine is always a hit with our two and the butterfly place was very good. But whatever your preferred children’s activity you’ll find it on the island. And if the sun does shine there are a choice of good beaches.

Just expect a wait for the ferry - our return journey is always delayed!

BlueChampagne Mon 18-Dec-17 13:25:33

We had a lovely week here www.knockaloebegfarm.com/ when DSs were 5 and 8. Good castles, beaches, walks for almost all lengths of leg, plus feeding animals on the farm. Little traffic if you avoid the TT.

Fitzsimmons Mon 18-Dec-17 13:28:42

Loads of stuff in the Lake District for kids. Lowther Castle, Wray Castle, steam railways, Beatrix Potter world, Whinlatter forest.

Neapolitanpink Mon 18-Dec-17 13:36:49

Northumberland, we used to visit as children when our grandparents lived there. I remember the rivers being shallow enough to play in, sandy beaches, Holy island, Hadrian wall, Beamish, the metro centre (but only because it was brand new at the time) and lots of other places I don't remember the name of.

Oh, and fish and chips with scraps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now