Talk

Advanced search

Christmas in London with small children - what to do?

(12 Posts)
Numbsnet Tue 12-Dec-17 16:45:54

My children are 4 and 7 and we will be in London for a week from Christmas eve onwards. Can I have a few ideas of things to do?
I am planning ice skating, Hyde Park and the science museum.

Is there anything else that we would all like, indoors or out?

JoJoSM2 Tue 12-Dec-17 16:58:39

The Natural History Museum. Maybe the London Eye.

parietal Tue 12-Dec-17 17:36:21

for science or natural history, get there early (before it opens) because there tend to be long queues in the holidays.

some of the smaller museums - Geffrye museum and Horniman museum are great for kids.

onlyonaTuesday Tue 12-Dec-17 17:48:48

Oxford street to see the lights
London eye
Mine enjoyed doing the monument
A river cruise
Hamleys

BlueUggs Tue 12-Dec-17 17:51:03

My son loved Shrek's Adventures.

Numbsnet Tue 12-Dec-17 22:42:30

Oh Hamleys yes. Thanks for all the ideas. Great place to start. Is Covent garden still entertaining with street performers? Haven't been there in about 12 years but I remember spending hours meandering there and visiting the transport museum.

Hobbes8 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:47:42

Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park is free to get in but the rides and stuff are pretty extortionate. We had a couple of hours there, then walked down Oxford Street, saw the window displays in selfridges, hof and Debenhams, the lights in regent st and carnaby st (my favourites) and ended up at Hamleys. It was all mobbed on a Sunday afternoon though! We just went on one teacup ride and had german sausage (and mulled wine) at winter wonderland so didn't spend loads but it would be v easy to spend more. They have children's shows (some Disney on ice type thing) and a big wheel as well.

Nightmanagerfan Tue 12-Dec-17 22:48:41

Yes Covent Garden still has street performers.

I’d also recommend Tate Modern as there’s a huge art installation in the turbine hall which is a playground - giant swings you can go on etc.

If you have budget for theatre, The Velveteen Rabbit or Slava’s Snow Show are supposed to be good.

Greenwich for general wandering, Cutty Sark and markets.

Look up Time Out for kids too.

London is beautifully quiet between Christmas and new year in non- touristy areas, so enjoy wandering around and walking lots.

Hobbes8 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:49:32

South bank is nice for street performers around festival hall / QEH. They sometimes have free concerts in the lobby as well, and there's a lift that sings the floors at you. Tate modern is free and walkable. I think there's a Christmas food market along there at the moment as well. The Thames clipper is fun as well, although not especially festive.

Numbsnet Thu 14-Dec-17 17:20:20

Thanks for the tip about Hyde Park @hobbes8. Good to know its pricey we may avoid.
Are there any good playgrounds in the city parks which are good on a cold but dry day?
Tate Modern is on the to do list!

Barbeasty Fri 15-Dec-17 09:40:38

The Diana Memorial Park in Kensington Park/ Hyde Park is brilliant.

For ages 4&7 I'd only do the science museum if you do the paid for bits. The rest of it was really disappointing for our 2 last year at that age- by contrast we had to drag them out of @ Bristol after 6 hours a few months later.

culturalmom2222 Tue 19-Dec-17 13:40:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now