Talk

Advanced search

Holiday in Scotland over the christmas break

(12 Posts)
maggiethecat Tue 14-Nov-17 23:25:55

We've lived in Edinburgh for a few years but have never really explored Scotland (always opt for warm weather hols).
Decided we'd venture out this christmas holiday and embrace Scotland.

Would like scenic, nice walks, good food, not too busy - where is your favourite place in Scotland to recharge/relax over winter?

Georgeofthejungle Tue 14-Nov-17 23:28:57

Inverness and surrounds is lovely! I’d be reluctant to go any further north just incase the weather turns nasty. West coast is also gorgeous but again with the weather. x

maggiethecat Sun 26-Nov-17 08:29:24

weather is risky I know. we'd like to consider Skye but hear that getting there can be quite a trek.

ladymelbourne1926 Sun 26-Nov-17 08:34:31

Skye is amazing but most of it closes down for winter because of the weather.
How about near the Cairngorms? Beautiful walks and scenery and most is accessible due to people who come in for the skiing.

Georgeofthejungle Sun 26-Nov-17 17:52:56

You also can’t go wrong with aviemore. Very popular at this time of year. So much to do and great for snow sports x

maggiethecat Mon 27-Nov-17 21:46:57

George, I have heard that Aviemore is nice. My ignorance of this beautiful country is cringeworthy and so I need to set that right!
Going to look up Aviemore and Cairngorms (have not a clue.....)

Sunbeam18 Mon 27-Nov-17 21:51:32

Aviemore is a good shout

IHeartKingThistle Mon 27-Nov-17 21:58:41

We did 9 days in a campervan this summer round Scotland and it wasn't enough!

We did Edinburgh, Aviemore for the Cairngorms, Cromarty for the Moray Firth dolphins, Loch Ness, over to Fort William /Mallaig for the Harry Potter train, Camusdarach on the West Coast, Glencoe, Loch Lomond and down to the Solway Coast. We loved it all (we had amazing weather though!). I don't know what would be best at Christmas but I'm jealous!

They have a reindeer herd on the Cairngorms that you can visit.

maggiethecat Tue 28-Nov-17 20:32:36

Aviemore sounds good. Thinking that it might be a bit of a waste though if we aren't into skiing (although kids might fancy other snow activities).
Any surrounding areas near to Aviemore that might be good? suspect they might be a bit more affordable too.

SmokeintheR00m Sat 02-Dec-17 05:00:56

Outer Hebrides and Skye, but I didn't visit in winter

JinxJinx Sat 02-Dec-17 05:12:13

The Isle of Arran, Scotland in miniature!!!

Turneeps Sat 02-Dec-17 05:41:53

Aviemore area has:
Mountain walks
Loch walks
Reindeer Centre
Highland Wildlife Park (with polar bears!)
Mountain bike hire
Snowboard hire
High ropes
Husky sleigh dogs
Landmark Centre
Etc
Etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now