Talk

Advanced search

Arrival time at airport when checking in online - domestic flight

(18 Posts)
notquitegrownup2 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:32:37

OK so I'm a dinosaur and usually check in in person at the airport.

Anyhhooo I'm due to take a domestic flight near Christmas and am getting a bus to the airport. I have to check in 2 hours before the flight, but if I do that online, can I arrive at the airport 90 mins before the flight?

PurplePillowCase Wed 01-Nov-17 22:34:45

do you have hold luggage?
if yes, then checking in the luggage takes just as long...

Caulk Wed 01-Nov-17 22:35:56

I would.

eurochick Wed 01-Nov-17 22:37:18

90 mins sounds fine even if you have hold luggage.

Mum2jenny Wed 01-Nov-17 22:38:25

I would, my dh tends to check in 20 mins before the gate closes or even later on many occasions.

I tend to think if it's likely to be classed as a business flight (as opposed to a holiday flight) that it's generally accepted.

Viserion Wed 01-Nov-17 22:38:32

Don't think I've arrived more than an hour before a domestic or European flight in years blush
I usually check in online, hand luggage only, through security and straight to gate. Can't be doing with hanging round any longer than absolutely necessary.

AlpacaLypse Wed 01-Nov-17 22:39:19

Hold luggage allow 2 hours minimum from flight time. Carry on luggage allow one hour to be on the safe side. Which airport? Because some are more bastard about security checks than others.

BonnieF Wed 01-Nov-17 22:41:16

Which airport is it? If it's a big, busy one then you can expect queues at bag drop (if needed) and security.

If it's a smaller airport and you aren't checking in a bag, then 1 hour before departure would be plenty of time.

notquitegrownup2 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:42:35

Hand luggage only. Luton Airport.

(I'm usually at the airport, with family, hours before my flight, but this one is on my own, just before Christmas, so a shorter wait would be good.)

Note3 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:45:06

I had a recent horrendous experience of being extremely late and thinking I'd miss my flight due to miscalculation and not having enough time after bag drop. I would make sure now to get to airport 1.5 hours before boarding gate closes to check bag in then proceed straight through security and find out boarding gate location as soon as available then head there for when it opens. Believe me a bit of waiting around is far more desirable than running to your gate and nearly missing your plane

LoniceraJaponica Wed 01-Nov-17 22:50:17

Viserion we usually fly from Manchester. BonnieF is right. At busy times you need at least a couple of hours because it takes so long to get through security regardless of whether it is a domestic flight or one to the US.

Your advice is very dependent on which airport you fly from.

Viserion Wed 01-Nov-17 22:57:55

I am usually flying from Heathrow, which I think is the busiest airport in Europe. I know I should allow more than an hour, hence the blush. And one day I may get caught out, but in 15 years of business travel, it hasn't happened yet. --it's bound to happen next time, now I have said that-+

LoniceraJaponica Wed 01-Nov-17 23:18:55

Isn't Heathrow the busiest in the World? Do you travel business class?

When DH travelled business class going through security was much quicker. We travel cattle class and queue for ages through security at Manchester at busy times. DD is still at school so we can't avoid school holidays just yet.

Viserion Wed 01-Nov-17 23:30:22

Nope, company are far too tight to pay for business. I am in the cheap seats all the time.

celtiethree Wed 01-Nov-17 23:36:47

Flew yesterday hand luggage only. Checked in on line. Arrived at security 40 mins before flight. I’m with Viserion, fly every week have not arrived more than an hour before when not checking in luggage for many years.

Note3 Thu 02-Nov-17 00:15:15

Celtie I did same as you. Arrived 40 mins before gate shut and I kid you not we nearly missed the flight due to the subsequent queues and hold ups. The difference being that I went during school half term whereas you didn't.

OP if you're getting to airport during a school holiday you need 1.5 hours MINIMUM. More really though for peace of mind. If flying during school time you're laughing smile

LoniceraJaponica Thu 02-Nov-17 06:59:36

I think it is relevant to state which airport you are flying from. 40 minutes would not allow enough time to get through security at Manchester durung school holidays in my experience.

BrandNewHouse Thu 02-Nov-17 07:02:45

Hand luggage at Luton and you would be fine arriving 60 minutes beforehand.
But I would be planning on 90 minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now