Talk

Advanced search

Kent - any advice please?

(22 Posts)
2PintsOfPeroni Tue 17-Oct-17 22:22:59

Hoping to have 3-4 days away next week with 2 DCs 12 and 14 plus the dog. We usually go to the Gower or Lake District but forecast next week is pretty awful. I've checked the national forecast and I think our best hope of dry weather is Kent. Apart from catching ferries from Dover we've never been. So why not?!

Being short notice there's really limited availability, especially as we have a dog. So any advice much appreciated. The place names mean nothing - Margate? Ramsgate? Deal?

Thank you

jenster1976 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:30:40

Margate is on the coast - sandy beaches, some cool bars and restaurants, turner gallery and dreamland it has an indie vibe and is becoming quite cool and it’s close to Canterbury (30 mins) it’s also on the isle of Thanet,so you get Broadstairs and Ramsgate thrown in too! Broadstairs quaint and Ramsgate has a nice little marina but not much to do. I’m gutted, we’re heading West into the rain, wish I was staying in Kent!!

jenster1976 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:33:13

I stayed in a lovely boutiquey hotel in Ramsgate last winter for a night, can’t remember the name but was on the hotel inspector so google will help you, was really lovely and there’s a couple of cool bars in the arches at the marina - 10 mins to Margate

2PintsOfPeroni Tue 17-Oct-17 22:33:20

Thanks Jenster!

2PintsOfPeroni Tue 17-Oct-17 22:33:50

We need self catering though because of the dog.

knockedover Tue 17-Oct-17 22:37:20

Whitstable has some lovely by (2 floor posh jobs) on seafront, really smart. Beach stretches for great walks,

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 17-Oct-17 22:41:21

Do you want seaside and beaches or do you want something more rural?

Dungeness has a very interesting landscape and a lighthouse and is near to Romney Marsh and the Downs for walking. Dymchurch has a nice beach but is a bit cheesy.

The villages around Canterbury and the valleys have good walks.

The good thing about Kent is that you're never very far away from the sea.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 17-Oct-17 22:42:36

Have a look at Alkham Valley.

snowballkitty Tue 17-Oct-17 22:44:42

Ramsgate and Broadstairs are the nicer part of Thanet. Whitstable and Canterbury are nice too.

Thegirlinthefireplace Tue 17-Oct-17 22:44:43

Whitstable is lovely and close to Canterbury

2PintsOfPeroni Tue 17-Oct-17 22:45:29

Thanks. We live in the Midlands so definitely need to see the sea!

jenster1976 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:47:40

Try mulberry cottages, it’s a local website with holiday homes in the area, might find something suitable that way, a few friends have got holidays let’s on it

2PintsOfPeroni Tue 17-Oct-17 23:02:16

Jenster, that's a great website. Exactly the sort of local advice I was hoping for. Much appreciated.

HundredMilesAnHour Tue 17-Oct-17 23:08:21

Lots of good places in Kent on AirBNB. You don't mention budget but there are hotels who will accept dogs as long as you book a dog-friendly room (such as Hotel du Vin in Tunbridge Wells or the Fisherman's Cottages in Whitstable).

HarrietVane99 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:19:09

If the weather's fine, the Kent coast is a good place to visit at this time of year. I've had some lovely seaside walks in October.

I like Deal, but there's not so much to do there except walk along the coast. What about Canterbury? You're in reach of all the Kent coast towns there. Sandwich isn't quite coastal, but if you like small medieval towns you could spend half a day there. Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate are all close together, so if you stay in one you can easily visit the others.

MaggieFS Tue 17-Oct-17 23:28:47

I don't think it's quite Kent, but I know three sets of couples, friends,who have all stayed at the Gallivant near Camber sands based on the first couple's recommendation and loved it. Particularly good if you are a foodie.

MaggieFS Tue 17-Oct-17 23:29:55

Oh- not sure about the dog though, sorry.

MummySparkle Tue 17-Oct-17 23:30:22

I’d stay in whitstable - DH’s parents love there - it’s fab! Canterbury is ‘my’ city and lovely. Folkestone triennial is on at he moment and is cool, also lots of free things to do there’s there (the museum is cool) nice walks along the lead. Dreamland in Margate will be fun for the DCs, lots of arcades there with penny falls etc.. also the turner contemporary gallery isn’t well worth a visit - there’s Anthony Gormley sculptures there at the mo. Oh Canterbury festival (arts / literature based) is on at the mo.

Zoos, you have howletts(Canterbury) port Lympne (hythe) wildwood (Herne Bay) Wingham (Canterbury)

there’s lots of nice walks, everywhere really. Tunbridge Wells is nice (posh). You can hire bikes at Beal water and cycle around.

Not many national trust properties actually in Kent, lots in East Sussex. English heritages there’s dover Castle, deal Castle, walmer Castle. There’s a lovely walk along the Cliffs in Dover (if you don’t mind your phone connecting to a French network for a bit!) can see all of the ferries going in and out from up there too.

Kent is ace!

MummySparkle Tue 17-Oct-17 23:31:25

CAMber sands is East Sussex. You have Rye that way too which is lovely, probably boring for teens though.

MummySparkle Tue 17-Oct-17 23:32:29

I’m not sure about dogs, but there’s plenty of caravan parks on the nothe coast of Kent, whitstable, Herne Bay etc

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 17-Oct-17 23:53:43

Foxhunter caravan park near monkton is lovely, lots to do at the park but it’s also in easy distance of Margate, ramsgate, Whitstable, Canterbury and birchington where the sea front walks of Minnis Bay and Quex park (EH) are worth visiting. There are other English Heritage sites in driving distance and they are dog friendly in the grounds.

Floralnomad Tue 17-Oct-17 23:59:22

You can take the dog to Dover Castle , but not in the buildings , no dogs at Leeds Castle . The beaches are lovely and all dog friendly at this time of the year . Id stay around Whitstable / Thanet area .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now