Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about York and surrounding places to visit

(23 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 10-Oct-17 22:42:30

Hi we're thinking of staying in York for 3 nights during half term. I haven't been there since I was 9 and remember loving it but could do with a refresher grin. Can anyone suggest the best area to stay so we can walk as much as possible (and any suggestions of b&bs very welcome!). We'll probably be driving so are thinking we could visit somewhere outside the City on the way there and back. I seem to remember loving the Bronte house, is there anywhere else we should go? Also how many days should we allow to see the main sites and museums in the City? All info gratefully received flowers.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 11-Oct-17 06:23:26

The Shambles is a narrow cobbled street lined with quirky boutiques, cafes and gift shops. Great for browsing.

You can walk along large portions of the city walls for fantastic views over the city and the Minster. You can complete a full circuit in around 2 hours, but if you’d prefer an edited experience, you can enter and exit via the five main gateways.

The National Railway Museum is top class and free. Fully hands-on and has rides and demonstrations.

DIG is a hands-on archaeological museum/experience especially for kids.

Head to the Minster for the stained glass and a climb up the tower.

The Jorvik Viking museum is a cliche and very touristy but so so interesting and such a well presented museum.

At the Chocolate Story learn about the famous families of York who built their fortunes on chocolate, their most famous products, as well as their process of chocolate making. After all this you’ll then be funnelled through into the downstairs shop where you can buy as much of the stuff as you want. It's both entertaining and informative.

Betty's tea room is probably about the most famous tea room in the whole of Yorkshire, and food good reason. Try a Fat Rascal.

Take a trip out of the city to a lavender farm and gardens, set on a hillside with views over the Vale of York. It’s near Terrington, in the Howardian Hills AONB around 15 miles north of York. There’s plenty to entertain all ages: explore the sculpture park, find your way through the lavender maze, see, smell and listen at the sensory garden, spot the resident white deer, and pet the Highland cattle and lambs. There’s also a tea shop with lavender-themed treats in case you get peckish.

noramum Wed 11-Oct-17 15:30:45

We went last year and stayed just outside the city walls (self catering cottage) and walked everyday into the city, really easy.

The main museum near the Clifford Tower is interesting, I think we were there for 2-3 hours. The tower itself is a ruin, we are English Heritage members, I honestly do not know if I would pay the steep entry fee otherwise.
Last year the Fairfax House, a Georgian townhouse, was part of the Museum at Night event series, they had a play inside with actors all dressed up, you went from room to room and heard about how they lived. It was hilarious and the one thing DD, she was 9, enjoyed most I think.

You can walk the city walls.

The Shambles are nice to window shop. Lots of small chocolate shops are around as well. Similar Stonegate

We tried Betty's Tea room, there are actually two but it was impossible to get into. A small hidden one is the Teddy Bear Cafe,
www.stonegateteddybears.co.uk/the-tea-room

We had food one evening at the Guy Fawkes Inn, nice one, near the Minster.

We went one day out to see Castle Howard. It is not far out and a nice day out if you like stately homes. They had some Halloween activities going on for children.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Wed 11-Oct-17 22:06:02

You can queue for Betty's - we've never queued more than 10 minutes TBH.

Boat trips
Railway Museum
Jorvik Centre
DIG
Castle Museum
City Walls
The 'Cobbles' - stonegate etc.
Halloween Experience at York Maze during the day (evening I think is for over 14s)
Escape rooms
The Web - Outdoor Adventure based at Creepy Crawlies soft play (horse riding there too I think)
Piglets Farm
Designer Outlet on the A64
Eden Camp on the A64 at Malton. Short drive but worth it. WW2 experience.
Knaresborough is nearby - lovely walk and garden and river (boating)
Mother Shipton's Cove isn't too far away
The Deep in Hull - 50 minute drive
Alpamare - Water park in Scarborough about an hour away or Bridlington Leisure Centre has a small splash park with 2 tube slides. I think York has a swimming pool with slides but not sure if these are no longer in use.

gingerbreadmam Wed 11-Oct-17 22:07:52

The Ashberry is a lovely b&b.

York maze is close by of open.

scarborough is abput 45mins.

MrsFogi Wed 11-Oct-17 22:45:31

Thank you so much for all the information!

gingerbreadmam Thu 12-Oct-17 08:02:14

You're welcome. I am there half term too we are regulars and dp is cramming full an itinerary for us grin

all i want to do is shop,eat good food and drink haha but i know he wants to do Barley Hall and whatever is linked in with that and a ghost tour for definite as well as walking the walls.

We have been in jorvic before which is fab.

Lovely indian shop called raffis spice box worth a visit when you're there. tbey have a harry potter shop now too and the most wonderful Christmas shop if you are getting in the spirit.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Thu 12-Oct-17 08:05:09

There's a fantastic Polish restaurant. Well worth a visit (I forget the name but you should find it on google/trip adviser )

moonlight1705 Thu 12-Oct-17 08:07:31

Ooh we've just booked our two nights there for the first weekend of half-term.

We didn't realise how booked up the hotels would be - although we are going on the Saturday until the Monday so that probably will make a difference.

Jotting down all the suggestions now!

CalmanOnSpeeddial Thu 12-Oct-17 08:25:00

We did it a while ago, just for two nights. We did a ghost walk on the evening we got there, the second day we just walked the walls, and pottered around the town looking at architecture and shops (there are a couple of excellent model shops) and the third day we did the Railway Museum. We had a lovely time - we didn’t want to over schedule all the museums so we just went free form and watched various stuff that was on in the city. DC (14 and 12) loved it.

JustTheWayYouAre Thu 12-Oct-17 14:21:19

We are spending Christmas in York - our first visit, with teens. I have shortlisted Jorvik museum, York minster tower, wander along the Shambles, Chocolate story and Christmas @ York Museum.

Is there anything else happening at Christmas that I should know of?

Justchillaxing Thu 12-Oct-17 14:43:07

Yorkshire wildlife park near Doncaster is amazing for a whole day out with lots of walking, it's quite big.

Madcats Mon 16-Oct-17 16:51:02

Oh we're going to be up there at 1/2 term too (DP working so I've made him rent an aparthotel rather than his usual hotel room).

Thank you for the tip about Rafi's (that's Xmas for a few foodie friends sorted). As for The Shop That Shan't Be Named...DD will be so excited. She loves the other shop they own "Give the Dog A Bone" which is close to Loch Fyne (which might be doing Kids Eat Free or some other promo).

Any locals on here? I'm just wondering how hellishly busy/long the queues for Jorvik and the York Dungeon are likely to be?

gingerbreadmam Mon 16-Oct-17 20:05:06

not exactly a local - live an hour away but the jorvik centre does tend to be quite busy during half term. if you can pre-book and its not much more i would go for it.

yes raffis is fab do some great kits and accessories too for a really authentic curry.

MirandaWest Mon 16-Oct-17 20:08:14

York's half term is a week later than much of the rest of the country - we don't break up until 27th although it will probably still be busy with other people visiting for half term grin

Justonemorecupoftea Mon 16-Oct-17 20:29:05

Localish (near Terrington Lavender and Castle Howard, both excellent).

We enjoy a walk round the walls, Railway Museum, Castle Museum and Clifford's Tower, the Minster, Yorkshire Museum (dinosaurs, Romans and Vikings) and Museum Gardens, Art Gallery, boat trips, Barley Hall and always recommend visitors start off on the bus trip from lots of hop off/hop on stops to get a good basic overview.

Also the Richard III museum on the wall walk is tiny but fab.

There are loads of quirky shops, The Imaginarium is my current love. If I were you I wouldn't bother going out of the city, there's bloody loads to do 😀

iseenodust Tue 17-Oct-17 10:12:42

Do the chocolate trail
Castle Howard is worth it. Will have activities on and has a great playground down by the lake.

Justtheway Recommend the pantomime at the Theatre Royal. It is known for slightly more adult content (not blue but nods to politics etc). You should book tickets now it's very popular.

MrsFogi Tue 17-Oct-17 22:30:11

Thanks for all the information - I'm not sure who is more excited, me of the children! Can anyone tell me which is the best ghost tour?

PickAChew Tue 17-Oct-17 22:33:32

Don't be alarmed if all the traffic grinds to a halt to let the geese through. The city has a goose problem and they're rather fond of jaywalking. Always good for a photo op!

Dowser Wed 18-Oct-17 10:38:41

Look out for street entertainment near the fountain or near Edinburgh woollen mill shop near Betty's.
The Hyde family jam are excellent
We've seen them in york and at easingwold music festival.
Brilliant.
youtu.be/pM-kNfaaXAs
Hopefully I've posted the right link.
That's the site near the fountain

gingerbreadmam Wed 18-Oct-17 18:07:08

the grey guy in a top hat who hangs around near the shambles shouting about ghost walks seems to play the part well. Not been on a tour but like him ha.

Definitelt hit the golden fleece for a drink or pub meal if you like the ghost stuff.

PumpkinSquash Thu 09-Nov-17 01:35:45

There's a fantastic Polish restaurant. Well worth a visit (I forget the name but you should find it on google/trip adviser )

Barbakan Polish restaurant down Walmgate? Love it there, been a few times and the food's amazing! I recommend the golabki (cabbage leaves stuffed with rice, and mince and covered in a tomato based sauce) or bigos (polish stew.)

Softkitty2 Sun 12-Nov-17 12:20:54

Any recommendations on where to stay maybe just outside of york? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now