Christmas 2017 in Yorkshire

(9 Posts)
bugaboo218 Thu 27-Jul-17 22:29:19

Hi we plan.to spend Christmas this year in Yorkshire. Thinking Harrogate or York.

Planning to travel up 22nd Dec and Stay until 2nd Jan. It will be a 9 hour journey for us.

Can anyone recommend A hotel or cottage in the area that would be suitable for two adults and three children .

One of my children is autistic, has complex needs and learning difficulties . Due to their needs if staying in a hotel they would need to be in same room as us . If we went for a cottage it would need to be secure away from ponds/lakes or busy roads and no balconies. Must have wifi.

Also could you please suggest a nice pub or restaurant where we could eat for Christmas dinner (would need to book) @ boxing day?

Also apart from stocking fillers I was planning to order other toys online before the trip and pick up from a smyths or toys r us when in Yorkshire. Are these shops in York/ Harrogate or nearby?

Was planning to pick up a few Xmas food treats from.M and S and Waitrose are these in Harrogate? Oh and I have heard about Booths would like to go for a nosey never been in a booths as we do not have them down.south.

If anyone can recommend any good places to go with children age 3_12 that would be helpful. SEN child has a wheelchair.

I would like an.afternoon to myself what would you recommend I do?

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
iseenodust Wed 02-Aug-17 16:39:50

Stockeld Park at Wetherby would make a nice Christmassy outing. stockeldpark.co.uk/plan-your-visit/disabled-access/

The north York ring road has Toys R Us at Clifton Moor (and big Tesco for online collection too) and M&S with food hall at Monks Cross (and John Lewis).

MirandaWest Wed 02-Aug-17 16:42:59

There is also a Smyths at Clifton Moor , next to ToysrUs.

iseenodust Wed 02-Aug-17 17:01:34

The National Railway Museum would be easy to get around with a wheelchair, it's free entry and they usually put on something for Christmas though that might have a charge.

bugaboo218 Wed 02-Aug-17 18:53:27

Thank you for the replies. I will look into everything.

OP’s posts: |
Dowser Sun 13-Aug-17 09:56:38

Is there a Booths in York?
I've never seen it.
Been to one in Penrith and Keswick. Shall have to look out for it.

Dowser Sun 13-Aug-17 09:59:03

These on trip advisor are supposed to be accessible. I know nothing about them but you could give them a ring.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentals-g186346-Reviews-zfn2-York_North_Yorkshire_England-Wheelchair_Accessible_Vacation_Rentals.html

mistlethrush Sun 13-Aug-17 10:16:32

There's a Booths on the edge of Ilkley.

Fountains Abbey would be an outside visit opportunity and there is a good level path around the park that should be wheelchair accessible. There are usually seasonal activities too.

MirandaWest Sun 13-Aug-17 13:09:00

There's a Booths in Ripon too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in