Talk

Advanced search

Cornwall for the first time- tips?

(30 Posts)
GlitteryFluff Tue 25-Apr-17 12:49:32

Off to Cornwall for a week in June. Will be me, DH and almost 3yo DS. We usually do north Devon. Haven't ever been into Cornwall. We're staying in Mullion(?) I think.

Any recommendations for areas to go to, and any places that aren't worth it?

We'd like to go to st Michaels mount. And lands end.
What beaches are best?
We prefer quieter areas, pretty places, rather than busy. Is Newquay ridiculously busy? Any hidden beaches or coves?

Any tips?

Thanks

mummymeister Wed 26-Apr-17 08:14:07

Lands end is a tacky theme park. if this is what you like then its fine but if not then avoid! Newquay will be mobbed at the end of June because this is where all the post exam kids go. Tintagel is a lovely place also some of the tin mine days out and there are plenty of National trust gardens and houses that always have kids activities on. The minack theatre is worth a look for the view and our favourite beach on that coast is Polzeath . Charlestown is good to wander around and Falmouth maritime museum also good. In Newquay the little zoo and aquarium make good days out and are usually teen free. have a look at the visitcornwall website and you will find lots of good stuff on there.

GlitteryFluff Wed 26-Apr-17 10:44:50

Thank you so much. Going to have a look at some of the places you've mentioned now.

socialanxietysrus Wed 26-Apr-17 10:47:30

Kynance cove beach is lovely and not far from Mullion

Are you planning on staying at the Parkdean site?

GlitteryFluff Wed 26-Apr-17 12:03:02

Yes we are. I'm not expecting too much but reviews seemed OK and it was cheap. Going abroad in September so didn't want to spend a fortune.

GlitteryFluff Wed 26-Apr-17 12:05:52

And thanks for suggestion. Will google now.

FfionFlorist Wed 26-Apr-17 12:06:11

Close to Mullion is lovely Kynance - short walk down to stunning beach and cafe. Fun, child friendly beaches at Church Cove/ Gunwalloe and Pholdu (pizza cafe there too). Mullion has a little chocolate factory that's fun for a quiet or wet hour or so.

Lovely fishing harbour at Cadgwith and fish and chips at Coverack, also has a safe beach for kids and windsurfing and paddle boarding for adults. Family friendly farm with ice cream and gentle walks at Roskilly's. Wet days in Maritime museum in Falmouth and Tate in St Ives. If little one likes planes there is a viewing platform for ransom Culdrose.

If you're feeling flush a swim in the lovely outdoor pool at Trelawarren (£8 per person I think) followed by tea in their tea shop and a mooch around the art galleries.

We first visited this part of Cornwall when our oldest was 2, she is now 19 and we all still go at least once a year. We love it, you will too.

FfionFlorist Wed 26-Apr-17 12:09:36

RNAS not ransom ...bloody iPad...sorry

GlitteryFluff Thu 04-May-17 10:01:59

Thanks so much ffion
Liking the wet weather options. Im never too hopeful of good weather so like to have back up plans!

Ferguson2 Wed 10-May-17 21:04:53

If you feel you HAVE to visit Lands End, walk there over the cliff tops from one of the villages either side of Lands End, otherwise it is expensive to park there.

Porthcurno (where the Minack cliff top theatre is) also has a telecommunications museum as it was where the first Trans Atlantic cable started from. About a mile west of Porthcurno is Porth Chapel beach, VERY quiet. Also nearby is Porthgwara that has 'caves' that featured in the last series of Poldark.

Goonhilly Earth Station has satellite dishes that monitored the first Space rockets in the '50s or '60s. DS at 3 might be a bit young to appreciate it however.

www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/

keithhunt50.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/day-20-lands-end-to-lamorna-cove/

mamalovebird Wed 10-May-17 21:19:13

Carlyon Bay is lovely.

Don't drive into St Ives without a buggy. Unless you get there really early to park in town, the other car parks are quite a walk.

Camel Creek adventure park is a good day out for the kids.

Fish & chips in Padstow!

Fowey is lovely. Boat trip round the harbour. Steep though so buggy a must.

mamalovebird Wed 10-May-17 21:20:22

Carlyon Beach I meant!

Crispmonster1 Wed 10-May-17 21:20:46

Take raincoats! We've had 2 holidays there...1st 2 weeks of sun and heat, 2nd 2 weeks of rain and damp!

LockedOutOfMN Wed 10-May-17 21:21:52

I went to Falmouth for the first time last summer and adored it. The beach (At. Michael's?) is lovely and there is a nice pub and a beach café there. The high street is nice too.

We stayed at a hotel overlooking that beach which had a spa and was lovely. Food in the hotel restaurant was delicious but quite small portions for the prices.

We also ate at a hotel overlooking the harbour. I will look up names!

Whyisitsodifficult Wed 10-May-17 21:22:55

I adored the Minack theatre, well worth the drive.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 10-May-17 21:24:12

Check the tide times for St Michael's Mount access. The castle is closed to the public on Saturdays.

Minack Theatre is fabulous, try to get tickets to a show in advance if you can.

Lands End is a dump. Second the vote to walk there via the coastal path from Sennen.

Mousehole is cute.

Penzance has an outdoor swimming pool called the Jubilee Pool. Highly recommend it. Lovely place, recently renovated after massive winter storms.

And don't feed the seagulls. Ever.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 10-May-17 21:26:10

Hotel with spa is St. Michaels at Gyllyngvase beach. Strongly recommend.

Hotel in the harbour at Falmouth with the lovely bar and food (fish) is The Greenbank Hotel.

Ouchy Wed 10-May-17 21:26:33

Kynance cove is the best beach, fantastic! You will be very close to Kynance.

There's a farm nearby that might nice for the little one - think it's Roskilly's

St Ives is lovely esp Porthminster beach

GlitteryFluff Thu 11-May-17 14:23:57

Thanks so much everyone.
Adding things to the list.
Would rather lots of ideas and options than to be twiddling thumbs because we aren't sure what we can do.

We usually go to north Devon, and always pack wellies and rain coats as we know how it can be! One year not one drop of rain, the next year not one glimmer of sun!

RhubarbCrumbled Sun 14-May-17 07:32:43

Following this as we're off to Cornwall for a week in August and it's years since I was last there.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 14-May-17 08:03:19

We have stayed in Mullion and been to the Lizard peninsula several times: it is gorgeous; definitely my favourite part of Cornwall.

Kynance Cove is a must but remember to check the tide timetable before setting out there because it is completely underwater at high tide.

Roskilly's farm - pretty to walk around and see their cows and then, of course, treat yourself at the icecream parlour at the end!

DS and I go to the seal sanctuary at Gweek every time we are there and love it.

Depending on how far you feel like driving, there is the Tamar Otter Sanctuary near Launceston as well.

We visited Trebah Gardens in Helston which are very pretty.

When we were there, RNAS Culdrose had an open day/air show which was fascinating.

Go down to Lizard itself and go to Lizard Point- the most southerly point on mainland Great Britain grin

Goonhilly Earth Station is on the Lizard peninsula and quite fascinating (and eerie) to see the huge satellite dishes.

Bear in mind that some of the places people are suggesting are a fair drive away from where you're staying! In terms of pretty little coves and beaches, stay local on the peninsula. We loved Kynance and Cadgwith Cove.

Signoritawhocansway Sun 14-May-17 08:24:04

I'm glad somebody has highlighted the distance/driving time involved for Cornwall. It drives me batty that people pile in and suggest things at the other end of the county! There is SO much to do in every area of cornwall that you don't have to drive miles to do things. It's not a relaxing holiday if you're in the car all the time. Anyway, I realise this is my personal opinion and that people are only trying to be helpful!

mando12345 Sun 14-May-17 08:36:14

We loved polurrian cove on the lizard, kynance beautiful and worth a visit but very very busy when we went.
The seal sanctuary is well worth a visit and not too far to drive.
Cadgwith cove is very pretty, but not a lot to do.

60percentofthetime Sun 14-May-17 08:46:19

As you're visiting outside of the school hols, St Ives is lovely. Drive to St Erth and catch the train round, it's a very scenic journey. Porthgwidden Beach is quieter than Porthminster and Porthgwidden beach cafe is lovely. Philps' Pasties have a pop up shop on the seafront (best pasties in Cornwall), but they have a main shop in Hayle. Mr B's ice cream shop is also in Hayle if the weather's good.

megletthesecond Sun 14-May-17 08:56:36

Trebah gardens has a little pebbly beach at the bottom that's good for skimming. Not that all the adults get competitive or anything wink .

Lizard lighthouse do a nice guided tour. There's some steps so not sure if it will suit your 3 yr old though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now