Talk

Advanced search

Short day trips from Southampton?

(16 Posts)
photographyaddict Sun 23-Apr-17 14:45:56

Hello

I'm looking for some ideas of places to go from Southampton, not too long as I do get travel sick easily! As my name suggests I am a photography addict so places that are good to photograph are preferred! I was looking at Basingstoke/Portsmouth/Bournemouth but any more suggestions are appreciated smile

HeadDreamer Sun 23-Apr-17 18:20:45

How about the New Forest or Winchester? Both are a lot closer than the three you mentioned. What is there in Basingstoke to see? What are you interested in?

Caken Sun 23-Apr-17 20:08:00

Come to the Isle of Wight! Some beautiful places for photography smile

thatwhichwecallarose Sun 23-Apr-17 20:14:41

What about the Fort Nelson or the other forts along ports down hill. Plus hang around til the sunsets and you'll get some lovely views overlooking the Solent.

Sidge Sun 23-Apr-17 20:17:08

Portchester Castle.
Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth.
Wickham is pretty.
Lymington is very picturesque.

Depends what you like photographing!

reup Sun 23-Apr-17 20:18:07

Bucklers Hard
Lymington

ggirl Sun 23-Apr-17 20:22:02

New Forest ..go early in the morning ..it's a photographers dream , head for Beaulieu , Brockenhurst area .
Bournemouth and coast is beautiful -half an hour from Southampton.

iMatter Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:50

You've got the New Forest on your doorstep as well as the lovely coast at Bournemouth/Poole.

Basingstoke? Not so much.....

photographyaddict Sun 23-Apr-17 21:12:59

Oh wow thanks for all the replies! I should elaborate! I'm interested in architecture photography so interesting and old buildings! I'm trying to build up a portfolio so just trying to collect images 😊 I'll also be going with a friend who wants to do shopping! Thanks all flowers

FlouncingInTheRain Sun 23-Apr-17 21:18:58

Salisbury and Romsey also spring to mind.

Not beautiful but architecturally interesting Eastleigh has a lot of rapidly build housing from a narrow period when it became a railway town plus the railway buildings architecture. You can see the different grades of accomodation for different levels of worker if you wonder around the streets close to the train station.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Sun 23-Apr-17 21:21:22

Winchester has the cathedral of course, and other very old buildings...

Cakecrumbsinmybra Sun 23-Apr-17 21:23:10

And quite good for shopping too. And lunch. cake

milkjetmum Sun 23-Apr-17 21:24:57

Closer to home have you been around Netley abbey (has the former war hospital in very pretty grounds). Hamble high Street quite pretty too. Maxwell zoo also has old house around. Highclere castle about 45 min from Southampton.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sun 23-Apr-17 22:13:06

I wouldn't normally recommend Basingstoke as a day out, but there are some quite striking modern buildings in the town centre, plus a sizeable shopping centre. Then there's The Vyne, a NT property nearby.

Portsmouth is very varied architecture wise, rows of Victorian terraced houses, tower blocks, Gunwharf Quays and the Spinnaker Tower, lots of back streets with old pubs, Fratton Park football ground, lots of concrete post war architecture, the dockyard, South Parade Pier, the cathedral and the semi-roofless Garrison Church. Shopping wise it isn't great apart from Gunwharf Quays which is an outlet place with lots of restsurants, cinema etc.

228agreenend Sun 23-Apr-17 22:16:10

Poole quay
Corfe castle
Bournemouth - pier
Sandbanks - a lot of modern builds

Sandcastles on the beach!

Jenijena Sun 23-Apr-17 22:22:03

Central Southampton itself has some interesting buildings, if you just look up. Wander between the Bargate and red funnel, and/or join one of the See Southampton tours on a Saturday.

Are you visiting the area? Salisbury and Winchester are the most obvious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now