Talk

Advanced search

North Norfolk Coast Accom Ideas / Weather in September

(12 Posts)
starfish8 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:48:21

Looking at a UK break in September and have had a couple of people rave to me about North Norfolk.

Does anyone live local and advise what the weather is like second week in Sept? We can holiday either wc 2nd or 9th, but may go for the latter as kids are only back at school from Weds 6th and want to avoid high season.

Is that too later to get good weather or likely to still be fine? I don't know the area at all.

Otherwise, if anyone has any specific accom suggestions to suit 2 adults and 1 3.5 year old, that would be most appreciated.

Etymology23 Sun 16-Apr-17 20:51:08

Weather should be decent ish then - but it's Britain so no guarantees! I love Wells next the Sea and Cley as places to stay. Wells youth hostel is super and has some private rooms for families.

There's a super steam railway nearish by and I love felbrigg hall too.

Iamastonished Sun 16-Apr-17 20:56:02

We stayed in a lovely cottage in Wells next the sea. I can't do links just now, but will come back to this when I can.

starfish8 Mon 17-Apr-17 10:01:20

Thanks @Iamastonished

Great to hear there is a steam railway in the area - my son would love that

rainbowthunder Mon 17-Apr-17 17:24:22

For accommodation you could stay in a static caravan on a holiday park (eg. Manor Park Holiday Park or Heacham Beach Holiday Park) where there will be facilities such as swimming pool, entertainment, etc. Out of school holidays it should be quite cheap - you can book through the holiday parks or find homes for hire at www.mobilehomes4u.co.uk/cat/norfolk/
Either way the holiday parks are great for young kids as there's loads to do on site.

starfish8 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:00:30

Thanks rainbowthunder I'll look them up though we may prefer a cottage this autumn, as we're going on a French campsite in June so I may have had enough of that type of holiday by then! Still, I do love a good camping/holiday park!!!

Banderchang Mon 17-Apr-17 21:07:53

We've been twice in early September and had brilliant weather. We stayed at a cottage in Holme next the Sea, near Hunstanton, and had a wonderful time. Great beach walkable from the cottage, and other nice beaches at Holkham and Wells. DS was 5 on the first visit and 7 on the second, and enjoyed both a lot. We also walked with alpacas in wells which was something exciting and different with little kids.

Iamastonished Mon 17-Apr-17 22:38:29

Back home and on a laptop now.

This is where we stayed.

The cottage ticked all the right boxes for us. The only three (minor) negatives were that the dishwasher didn't work when we were there, no Wi-Fi and poor data connection, and the extractor hood over the hob was too low for 6'2" OH who kept bumping his head on it.

We really liked the cottage and loved Wells. We don't like holiday parks or caravan parks so this suited us very well.

Norfolk has the biggest beaches I have ever seen, and there is plenty of room for everybody. We did a steam railway trip and had a lovely day out to Walsingham. But the best trip was a boat trip to Blakeney Point to see the seals.

MrsHenryWales Mon 17-Apr-17 23:01:03

North Norfolk is AWESOME!!!!

Definitely go for 9th September as the beaches are heaving during the school holidays. September can be glorious, just as nice as August.

Wells Next The Sea is a good area to focus on. It's a lovely beach for children with a cafe, toilets, beach huts, loads of sand when the tide is out, pinewoods with secret 'pirate' routes.

Go round to the west a couple of miles and you've got Holkham. The beach has no facilities but is huge. Set back from the beach is a good hotel/gastro pub, a great wine shop, and at the hall (owned by the Earl Leicester who owns most of the land round there including Wells beach) there is a really good woodland playground plus lots of deer just merrily walking around.

www.holkham.co.uk/nature-reserve-beach/the-beach/introduction

www.holkham.co.uk/visiting/woodland-play-area

Burnham Market is a lovely N.Norfolk village were all the hoy-polloi from London come to at the weekends. Lots of lovely boutiques and a fantastic pot painting cum traditional sweetie shop run by a lovely lady called Jane. (Not Mabel).

www.mablespaintpot.co.uk/home.html

Further round to the west you've got Brancaster beach popular with kite surfers.

After that the beaches aren't quite so nice but good for birdwatching.

Round to the East of Wells is Blakeney (no beach, loved by old people), Wiveton (amazing cafe with sea views and PYO fruit, although probably not in September) and Cley (good smokehouse and deli, pebbly beach and RSPB cafe and reserve and B&B windmill owned by cousins of James Blunt).

Holt is a lovely town with independent department stores, little boutique shops, great cafes. Duchess of Cambridge frequently seen milling around.

www.byfords.org.uk

The N.Norfolk railway is great. If the weather isn't beach worthy you can visit the National Trust Sheringham Park for a good stomp over the parkland then catch the train at Weybourne in to Cromer for a traditional kiss-me-quick seaside town with great fish and chips down near the pier.

Bewilderwood is near Wroxham and although a drive from N.Norfolk (30-40 mins maybe) is a huge woodland playground family attraction that people travel from all over to visit. It's especially worth a visit outside of school holidays.

www.bewilderwood.co.uk

Check these people out for excellent spec accommodation.

www.sowerbysholidaycottages.co.uk/index.php
www.blakeneycottagecompany.co.uk
www.barefootretreats.co.uk
www.wivetonhall.co.uk

PM me with any questions! smile

Theworldisfullofidiots Mon 17-Apr-17 23:09:32

Me and dd stayed here.
www.rosecottagewalsingham.co.uk/
It's fab.
Great cottage. Loads of places to eat, nice farm shop in a very quirky village. Steam railway from here to Wells.

MrsHenryWales Mon 17-Apr-17 23:09:53

Only just noticed the age of your DC. I'd definitely find something in or Wells if you can. There's plenty to amuse you there for a slow few days. Stroll around the lanes down to the beach, soft play, big pirate themed park, little narrow gauge steam that goes to nearby Walsingham where there is a lovely farmshop and chocolate deli (not the same as the full-size N.Norfolk Railway that runs Holt-Weybourne-Cromer). Cafes, pubs, fish and chips, fishing boats and lifeboats to watch. It's really idea for that age.

starfish8 Tue 18-Apr-17 08:52:08

Wow! Thanks everyone for the amazing responses, and to MrsHenryWales for fully organising me!

Pics look great and think it's just the place for an end of Summer break. I really can't face getting on a plane somewhere again, so packing up the car and exploring a new part of the UK really appeals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now