Talk

Advanced search

UK Youth hostelling with DD(10)...any gems (pref near a beach)?

(20 Posts)
Madcats Sat 15-Apr-17 17:11:42

I'm ashamed to say that I've not used a UK Youth Hostel for a good 2 decades, but have found them really convenient in Oz, then Belgium/Netherlands/Denmark with DD. She is sensible/old enough to be left in a bedroom in the evening but knowing we are sat reading/drinking in a lounge along a corridor.

In an ideal world there would be one near(ish) a train station AND a beach, with a kitchen for a sneaky break without DH in the summer hols (so I probably need to get my act together and start looking).

Equally I can see that we could make a 5+ day holiday driving out of Somerset and staying at 2+ locations.

DD would love a sandy beach and would be up for trying some activities (body boarding/climbing etc). We would love a couple of NT places and a couple of decent places to eat nearby.

I'm probably over-thinking this, but thank-you for any suggestions.

Dashper Sat 15-Apr-17 22:21:03

Whitesands. You can get the train to Haverfordwest then bus.
TYF do surfing, climbing and coasteering.

NorthernLurker Sat 15-Apr-17 22:23:26

York - walk along the river to the hostel, loads to do and you can get the train to Scarborough for the beach.

Madcats Sun 16-Apr-17 11:56:42

Thanks for the suggestions.

In trying to track down Whitesands, I've stumbled on a website called www.coolplaces.co.uk which looks like a nice place to browse.

DH sometimes has to work in York - we ran out of time doing touristy things when we had a couple of days up there last summer (so that's another good idea).

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 16-Apr-17 12:01:32

There is a beautiful, tiny YH on the cliffs near Tintagel. It is literally on the South-west Coast Path, and you can walk along the path to Trebarwith Strand - good for body-boarding - or back to Tintagel.

here

whowantsadog Sun 16-Apr-17 12:04:21

Boggle Hole is right by the sea near Whitby- striking distance of York too...

www.yha.org.uk/hostel/boggle-hole?utm_source=google&utm_medium=maps&utm_campaign=google-places

PossumInAPearTree Sun 16-Apr-17 12:06:58

Boggle hole or Manorbier. Think it's called Manorbier.... Or is it freshwater... Near Tenby anyway.

Dashper Sun 16-Apr-17 15:07:35

Sorry OP. Whitesands is near St Davids in North Pembrokeshire. The hostel is about a mile from the beach.

Manorbier YHA is probably 2 miles from the beach in South Pembs. There's a Norman castle and a nice beach there. V pretty but not a surfing beach.

Madcats Sun 16-Apr-17 20:57:25

Brilliant suggestions everybody (and it didn't have to be surfing...just a thought).

I think I have the makings of a few short breaks over the summer.

Bath YH is a lovely location BTW if anybody jumps on the thread.

PossumInAPearTree Sun 16-Apr-17 21:07:40

Manorbier is a surfing beach, I've surfed there lots plus they've held the Welsh championships there.

I'd have thought there would be buses from manorbier to Tenby. Train station at Tenby.

Etymology23 Sun 16-Apr-17 21:09:44

Wells next the sea is nice (no station but there's a bus from the stations) and Sheringham was a nice youth hostel but I'm not as keen on the town.

bruffin Sun 16-Apr-17 21:12:02

Not near a beach but Lea Valley has a mariners base next door , where you can do sailing, kayaking caving and climbing. Also just 2 minutes walk from station and trains into london that take just 20 mins into liverpool street.

annandale Sun 16-Apr-17 21:13:46

I've never been inside it but Port Eynon youth hostel is in an amazing location (old lifeboat station, so actually on the beach). No station, but a bus taking anything from 1 to 2 hours? shock from Swansea.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 16-Apr-17 21:27:55

Does it have to be an actual Youth Hostel? If you expand your search to include bunkhouses you'll find some extra gems.
We stayed in this amazing place http://www.ambothan.com last year, although it might be too far away for you guys.

mummymeister Mon 17-Apr-17 08:55:41

Portland has a great YH that is near Chesil beach with lots to do in the area as well. agree that you should also look at bunk houses or walkers cottages which are small bedsits and might suit you as well,

pinkmagic1 Mon 17-Apr-17 09:01:25

Was also going to suggest Boggle Hole near Whitby.

Dashper Mon 17-Apr-17 11:41:36

I stand corrected Possum. I'm from North Pembrokeshire smile I can confirm buses between Manorbier and Tenby though.

Madcats Mon 17-Apr-17 11:45:42

I hadn't registered that bunkhouses were more than a giant dorm. I only suggested YHA because we are familiar with the set up and there seem to be a lot more families using them these days.

Gosh Ambothan looks lovely (even DH is tempted - it isn't too pricey to fly up to Inverness). If we were to spend a day or 2 getting there and a couple more getting back it might make a lovely break.

Whitby looks good too....

1st mini break might have to be Portland tho (with a trip to the Crab House cafe).

Madcats Wed 26-Apr-17 15:23:10

Just thought I'd pop back on here to let you know that Friends and Family railcard emailed a YHA promotion to me yesterday.

We are now family members for £10 instead of £30 and York YHA was one of 6 hostels offering 10% off stays (on top of the £3/head/night discount).

So we have 2 nights in York then 2 in Whitby booked (will probably stop off somewhere on the way up and down- time to consult a map).

crunched Wed 26-Apr-17 15:32:29

YHA Ambleside has loads going on around and about; water based activities in addition to things in the fells and great cinema with veggie restaurant/live music attached in the village. It is on the banks of Lake Windermere.
There is a very regular bus service from Windermere station a few miles away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now