Talk

Advanced search

Where to stop btwn Lake District and Legoland for 4 nights?

(35 Posts)
av3nturin3 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:58:16

Hi, we're planning a 5 week holiday in England this summer with 3 kids (ds1 9yrs, ds2 7yrs, ds3 2yrs) and will rent a car.
London: 3 nights
Bath: 4 nights
Center Parcs Longleat: 1 week
Birmingham/Stratford upon Avon: 1 week
Lake District: 1 week
???: 4 nights
Legoland Windsor: 3 nights

We have a gap btwn Lake District and Legoland Windsor and I'm struggling for ideas. I had a look at the map and Corme in Norfolk looks like it could be "different" enough from the other destinations we've already booked, but have never been, any thoughts?

iseenodust Thu 13-Apr-17 14:23:40

Norfolk would be a long detour. If you fancy a few days by the beach why not north wales? I'd go for Lleyn Peninsula, the beaches there are lovely.

av3nturin3 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:34:46

Thanks, we're curious about Wales! yes to the long detour for Norfolk ;)

treaclesoda Fri 14-Apr-17 09:38:53

Shropshire. Very pretty countryside, and plenty of museums/national trust properties/little towns to pass the time. It's a lovely area.

MummaGiles Fri 14-Apr-17 09:41:55

Peak District?

BikeRunSki Fri 14-Apr-17 09:44:24

Cotswolds
Ironbridge/Shropshire

hesterton Fri 14-Apr-17 09:45:18

You have a lovely mix of theme parks, holiday villages and history there. I agree, you need th coast to make it an all round great holiday. Thoroughly recommend Wales for some glorious coastline.

Crumbs1 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:46:06

Ironbridge is excellent and easily four days entertainment

SenoritaViva Fri 14-Apr-17 09:47:53

I was also thinking Wales

insancerre Fri 14-Apr-17 09:49:06

There is a centre parcs in norfolk in thetford forest at elvedon
It is a long drive from the lake district though

Saladd0dger Fri 14-Apr-17 09:49:38

Cotswold is lovely and has the water parks. Weymouth or Bournemouth are lovely beaches. Weymouth has a sea life centre to not sure about Bournemouth

insancerre Fri 14-Apr-17 09:51:17

How about Blackpool smile
Everyone has to to do it once in a lifetime

leccybill Fri 14-Apr-17 09:54:19

North Wales/Chester/Liverpool

Nice mix of great beaches, history and culture. Loads to do for kids in Liverpool. Then straight up the M6 to the Lakes.

SoulAccount Fri 14-Apr-17 09:54:54

How fab, a long trip away!
What will you do with the car while you are in London? Have you got parking?

Whatslovegottodo Fri 14-Apr-17 09:57:21

Chester is a nice small city. It has Walls and Roman history, as well as museums and shopping.
Also it is near the Cheshire countryside and has family friendly days out like Crocky Trail, Tattenhall ice cream farm, Chester zoo. Under an hour to lots of decent beaches too. Highly recommend.

DumbledoresApprentice Fri 14-Apr-17 10:01:37

I'd also go for Wales.

Brighteyes27 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:03:35

What time of year? Northumberland is lovely and different to the Lake District but maybe too close to the Lake district distance wise lots of lovely beaches big dramatic skies and castles Bamburgh, Alnmouth, Lower Newton, Alnwick castle (where Harry Potter was filmed), Bamburgh Castle and the ruined castle near Craster. Also maybe Yorkshire Forbidden Corner at Leyburn is lovely, Whitby, Derbyshire etc etc

PotteringAlong Fri 14-Apr-17 10:05:45

Northumberland is also very very definitely not between the Lake District and Lego land!

av3nturin3 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:22:39

Any other ideas? Apart from the typical tours of Stratford-upon-Avon, Alton Towers, Cadbury World, Oxford and Cambridge, we arent familiar with much of England. We did love what we saw of the area surrounding Alton Towers.

BikeRunSki Fri 14-Apr-17 10:36:01

Peak District- lots of easy walking/cycling trails in the White Pwak, around Buxton/Bakewell/Matlock.

SoulAccount Fri 14-Apr-17 10:36:20

The Peak District (Alton Towers) is indeed lovely: Gritstone edges, rugged country, Matlock Bath, Chatsworth House.

Also for Wales, Hay on Wye, the Brecon Beacons.

Or the Cotswolds. Stow, Bourton on the Water, Morton in Marsh.

av3nturin3 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:37:24

sorry, I posted without refreshing the thread! Thanks for many awesome ideas!
-We're travelling from Lake District to X to Legoland Windsor.
-We take the train from London to Bath, then get the car on last day in Bath.

SoulAccount Fri 14-Apr-17 11:30:56

Good plan ( re car).

It is a 6 or 7 hour drive from the Lakes to N Norfolk, and a 3.5 or 4 hour drive from Norfolk to Legoland.

leccybill Fri 14-Apr-17 13:34:44

Do you not fancy the idea of the coast? North Wales and Liverpool would still be my best suggestion.
Liverpool is a World Heritage city with a breathtaking waterfront.

Pinotwoman82 Fri 14-Apr-17 13:36:40

Oh my goodness what you are doing sounds wonderful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now