Talk

Advanced search

Hill Walking near midlands

(12 Posts)
MostlyHappyMummy Tue 11-Apr-17 00:13:17

Hello
I'm hoping someone can help. We'd like to go hill walking (adults plus 3 kids) but we live in the fairly unhilly midlands. Does anyone know of anywhere we could drive or get train to where we could do a days hill walk (circular ideally) and not have to leave really early i.e. Before 8am. I've been thinking Malvern or Shropshire but don't know the areas so unsure whereabouts to consider exactly. Any help greatly appreciated.

heron98 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:17:56

Isn't the Peak District in the Midlands? Not far from anyway.

QueenieMum Tue 11-Apr-17 09:25:08

Hi Mostly. The Stiperstones and the Wrekin spring to mind, there's a list of Shropshire walks here http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/Shropshire-walks-list

No idea if this is a clicky link so apologies if not! Failing that, would Wales be an option or does that fall into the pre 8am category?

Nice to see someone wanting to get out in the great outdoors smile

user1471558436 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:27:25

Peak District

Malvern

senua Tue 11-Apr-17 09:33:19

The Malverns are lovely, as is the Wye Valley. Can you get to Symonds Yat or is that too far.
Further north than the Malverns you get into the Clee Hills, Wenlock Edge, Long Mynd and Stiperstones. All very popular with walkers.
There are also the Cotswolds and Edge Hill but it gets a bit busy and touristy round there.
There are loads of walks in the Peak District - too many to mention.
There are some minor hills to the south of Birmingham - Lickey, Clent, Kinver.

MostlyHappyMummy Tue 11-Apr-17 10:33:03

Thank you to everyone who's responded so far I'm out for a while but will look through the suggestions.
We go to lickey and clent often, hadn't heard of kinver will look up.

lljkk Tue 11-Apr-17 10:39:44

Charnwood forest if you are in East Midlands.

CMOTDibbler Tue 11-Apr-17 10:43:04

Def do the Malverns. For a nice afternoons walk, we park at British Camp and walk over there (lovely kiosk with massive ice cream range by the car park) or you can walk further going along the ridge the other way)

In fact I'm sat in my car on the Malverns right now enjoying the view while ds is doing mountain bike training smile

BlueChampagne Tue 11-Apr-17 13:08:01

Brecon Beacons or Black Mountains over in Wales?

If you can arrange transport at each end, you can do the Malverns end to end in a day. I did it once by moonlight (and torch).

imNew1985 Tue 11-Apr-17 13:18:59

Peak District
Malverns
Kinver
Church Stretton

imNew1985 Tue 11-Apr-17 13:19:45

http://www.churchstretton.co.uk/about-church-stretton/walking-and-biking-trails/

MostlyHappyMummy Tue 11-Apr-17 13:46:55

Thank you so much for all the ideas. I'll check them all out and I'm pretty sure there are enough ideas here to keep us going for many days over the coming weekends. We're aiming to incorporate the odd overnight stay when the youngest is a little bit older too so then the distance won't be such an issue.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now