Talk

Advanced search

London for 5 days with 4 year old

(5 Posts)
PrettyFlyForATightGuy Sun 09-Apr-17 21:46:16

The title pretty much says it all! We're going to London for 5 days/nights in May with our 4 year old and I'm wondering what your 'must-do' things are, any good lunch or dinner recommendations and anything you'd definitely avoid. We're staying near the British Museum.

So far I have: Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, possibly a show, Hamleys and that's about it. No idea for food and drink really.

FreeButtonBee Sun 09-Apr-17 21:52:06

South bank. Start at London Bridge with the golden hind, pop into Tate modern for a run round the turbine hall, up the lifts to the viewing platform then over the millennium bridge and back. Keep going for as long as you fancy. Tons of places to eat. A little secret spot is hix bankside. Kids eat for free after noon with an adult. They do crayons and paper and it's really big and friendly with an open kitchen.

Transport museum and a trip to Wagamama in Covent Garden

Batersea park children zoo has a real life proper fire engine which kids can play in for hours

MrsWhirly Sun 09-Apr-17 21:56:46

Hamley's, M&M world, London Zoo, Rain Forest Cafe. London Aquarium. Battersea Park Children's Zoo. If you want to travel a bit, Horniman's Museum& Gardens if fab and Natural History Museum. X

PrincessHairyMclary Sun 09-Apr-17 21:57:37

Ripleys believe it or not a much better experience than I though and DD loved it.

If you're going in August lots of childrens shows and kids go free. Aladdin is amazing, if you can sit in slip seats, they say the view is obstructed but it's not and they are much cheaper than others.

Take a swimming costume and a travel towel for stripping down and running through fountains to cool off - my DD would spend all day doing that if she could.

Cutty Sark and the planetarium are also really good.

Princess Diana memorial park is brilliant a huge pirate ship to climb, water play, musical instruments and Peter Pan park. There's a cafe near by and sometimes there is a queue so we take lunch and eat while we wait after visiting the museums.

Visit Stratford and go to the Olympic park, again a brilliant play park and fountains, shop at Westfield.

We tend to stock up on picnic stuff for lunch and eat at the premier inn we stay at for dinner but We went to the rainforest cafe which Dd loved too.

If you travel by train most places are 241 even if it's only one stop.

starlight36 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:48:42

Natural History Museum and Transport Museum are the favourites with my 4 year old. We haven't ventured into the British Museum yet but hear they have good activity backpacks and special events for children. If you are staying in the area definitely check out Coram's Fields which has good playgrounds to charge around in.

Not cheap but London Zoo and the Aquarium are both good. Some deals around but definitely book in advance as on the day prices are steep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now